Professor of Biobased Art & Design
Who: an inspiring connector with a passion for research and education
What: using practice-oriented research to develop knowledge within the research group theme
Where: Breda, ’s-Hertogenbosch and Rotterdam
When: start date open for discussion
The team you will be working with at the new Research Group Biobased Art & Design is part of Caradt, which brings together 3 research groups. Caradt is a collaboration between the School of Fine Art and Design|St.Joost and the Avans study programme of Communication & Multimedia Design in Breda and ‘s-Hertogenbosch. Previously known as the Centre of Expertise for Art & Design, Caradt is 1 of Avans's 6 centres of expertise. To make this research group possible, Caradt collaborates with Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences’s Willem de Kooning Academie (WdKA) as well as Avans's Centre of Expertise Biobased Economy (CoE BBE). Caradt facilitates interdisciplinary, practice-based research into current developments in the field of art and design. Alongside enabling budding artists and designers to make a meaningful contribution to their own professional field and the economy, this improves the relationship between education and professional practice The focus here is on knowledge valorisation for education and the future professional field. In addition, research means students are better prepared to assume their future role as highly qualified, reflective professionals.
Where possible, Biobased Art & Design collaborates with Caradt's other research groups, Autonomous Making and People-Oriented Creation, and with WdKA's research groups, being Autonomous Practices, Social Practices and Commercial practices. You will also collaborate with other Avans centres of expertise and research groups elsewhere in the Netherlands. Please visit caradt; http://www.caradt.nl/ to discover more about Caradt’s activities.
- Breda, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 24 uur
- € 5375 - € 6940 per maand
You will work for the new Biobased Art & Design research group at the Centre of Applied Research for Art, Design and Technology (Caradt). Biobased Art & Design is a collaboration between Avans University of Applied Sciences and Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences. Alongside using research to increase the relevance of the biobased economy in our society, the research group is a platform for practice-oriented research into art and design and focuses on integrating biobased materials and processes in a biobased society. In the future, further bans will be placed on fossil fuels and the use of biofuel and organic residual flows will increase. At the same time, we will discover new technology and rediscover old ones, and companies and consumers will change their behaviour and make different choices.
As a professor, you are able to motivate your team, with whom you will tell the story behind biobased technologies in a way that captivates people. Using results from your research into art and design, you will help solve social and ethical issues and further develop art and design technology. In a changing world, your research group will be dynamic and operate at the cutting edge of technology and society. You will make products, achieve research results and present these at research conferences, design fairs and biobased trade fairs in the Netherlands and abroad. Collaborating with members of the knowledge network, you will build relationships with innovative SMEs and larger brand manufacturers in order to contribute to the international research debate. In addition, your task as a professor will be to ensure and improve the quality of research and the interaction between research and education, which you will achieve through knowledge networks, projects and teaching modules. You will also oversee internal experiments, supervise PhD candidates and maintain contact with members of the professional field.
- You have a PhD qualification in a subject that is relevant to the knowledge domain.
- You can demonstrate your research experience with recent examples.
- Your ability to inspire and your excellent didactic skills help lecturers and PhD students to perform research at a higher level.
- You have a clear vision in terms of art and design and are able to convert this into concrete research questions at the Research Group Biobased Art & Design.
- In your previous positions, you gained experience in the practice of art, in culture or in the creative industries, preferably internationally.
- You have an active network.
- You have proven experience initiating, implementing and supervising multidisciplinary, externally-funded research both within and outside the context of education.
- You use your knowledge, experience and the results from scientific research to create study programmes and inform professional practice, including via study days and conferences.
- You are an expert in professionalising practices related to the biobased economy. You do this by applying knowledge and expertise in various professional sectors and by generating new knowledge, insights, methods and techniques for these sectors.
- You actively raise funds for research or initiate efforts to raise funding.
Avans University of Applied Sciences is committed to bringing out the best in people. It has a reputation for being an excellent employer. We live up to our commitment by offering attractive employment conditions
- The position on offer is for 0.6 fte for a maximum of 6 years. You will work on average 0.2 fte of the position in Rotterdam.
- You will receive a monthly salary in scale 15, €5,375.64 – €6,940.60 gross based on a full-time position. This is in accordance with the Higher Professional Education Collective Labour Agreement.
- A year-end bonus in the form of a thirteenth month's salary is a standard remuneration component.
- We offer you plenty of opportunity for personal and professional development.
If you are sure this job is the right fit for you and you are keen to join Avans, please apply before 20 May stating vacancy number 18/089. The first interview round will be held in the week beginning 28 May. The second interview round will be held in the week beginning 11 June (subject to change). Should you have any further questions about this position, please contact Rens Holslag, Caradt Manager, on +31 6 – 10 26 66 96 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this vacancy is advertised simultaneously, internally as well as externally. We will remove this vacancy from our website after the closing date. No rights may be derived from the content of this text. Please do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.