Postdoc on the project: Photoacoustic imaging of lipids in atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory and lipid-driven disease of the artery walls. In the carotid arteries, it may trigger a stroke, and as such is a major …
- 's-Gravendijkwal, Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
- € 2826 - € 4481 per maand
Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory and lipid-driven disease of the artery walls. In the carotid arteries, it may trigger a stroke, and as such is a major cause of death and long-term disability. Current treatment consists of surgical intervention, based on the occurrence of symptoms (e.g., transient ischemic attack) and the degree of arterial narrowing. The tissue composition of atherosclerotic plaque has important consequences for the risk of a specific plaque to cause a stroke, but is currently not taken available for deciding on a treatment course.
In this project, we will use photoacoustic imaging (PAI), a relatively new imaging modality, to visualize carotid artery plaque composition in ex vivo samples and in patients. An integrated echo/PAI system will be developed and used for extensive spectroscopic characterization of carotid plaque morphology and composition. With the new system and reference data from ex vivo tissue studies, we will conduct a clinical study to investigate carotid plaque in patients with symptoms of cerebral ischemia. We will study the relation between plaque composition and clinical presentation, and investigate factors such as medication status and diabetes.
- You have a PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Optics, Electronics, or related.
- You have experience with photoacoustics, pulsed lasers, fiber optics, electronics.
- You are an excellent experimentalist and a good programmer, fluent in at least Matlab or Python, and proficient with advanced data and signal processing techniques.
- You are creative, pro-active with good analytical skills and a sound academic attitude.
- You have excellent communication skills in English, both in writing and speaking.
- You are a team-player and able to work in a collaborative environment with PhD students/researchers and supporting staff.
ConditionsThe gross monthly salary amounts a maximum of € 4.361,- (scale 10), depending on your level of education and relevant experience and based on a full-time working week of 36 hours. The terms of employment are in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Medical Centers (CAO UMC).
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Dr. Gijs van Soest, phone number: +31 (0) 10 704 46 38 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. For queries regarding your application, please contact Jerry Chandansingh, Recruiter, by phone number: +31 (0)6 500 310 06.
If you are excited by the thought of this position and would like to apply, please do so by using the application form on our website.