1 dag geleden - VU - Amsterdam
The Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam School of Business and Economics established the Hermine Weijland Fellowship in 2017 with the aim of attracting and promoting …
The Faculty of Philosophy is seeking to appoint an assistant professor in philosophy, in the area of Theoretical Philosophy. The main components of the job …
The Faculty of Philosophy is seeking to appoint an assistant professor in philosophy, in the area of Theoretical Philosophy. The main components of the job will be (apart from a bit of administration – 10%) teaching (50%) and research (40%). The teaching component will involve preparing and teaching courses in logic and in philosophy of economics at the undergraduate level and also a few courses in other domains of analytical philosophy: epistemology and/or metaphysics and/of philosophy of language, philosophy of cognition and of consciousness and/or philosophy of science. Ability to teach logic in Dutch is a plus. The research component will be in one or more of the above domains. Although the research strength of the assistant professor need not be in logic, having an affinity with teaching logic to undergraduate students is a prerequisite.
We are looking for someone with a solid background in Philosophy. More precisely, candidates should have an interest in and knowledge of subjects in the area of Theoretical Philosophy. In addition, candidates should have a doctorate degree or be in their final year of dissertation research. We are committed to increasing the diversity of Faculty and strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
The assistant professor is expected to:
• conduct teaching within the Faculty of Philosophy
• be available for occasional teaching within the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE)
• develop (and/or strengthen) a strong research profile in Theoretical Philosophy
• make an effort to acquire external funding.
The successful candidate will have:
• affinity (and preferably also some experience) with teaching logic to undergraduate students;
• the necessary abilities and skills to teach courses in other domains of Theoretical Philosophy;
• scientific qualities expressed by scientific publications in the area of Theoretical Philosophy, in combination with a promising future research agenda;
• good writing and verbal skills in English (C1) and preferably also in Dutch.
This position comes with good employment conditions, compliant with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO NU). The position holds a full-time appointment as a tenure tracker for a period of 5 years. The salary is in accordance with the scale of the CAO NU. In addition, the attractive employment package includes an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, generous leave provisions for a healthy work-life balance, a good pension scheme, excellent options for collective insurance, and a provision for the use of the Internet at home. The employee may also use a number of campus facilities, such as sports facilities and the library.
Your application must be written in English. Please send two files in *.pdf according to the following specifications:
1. This file should include your name and contact details: (i) Letter of motivation, including a short description of future plans in view of research ambition, ideas about grant applications and envisaged (societal) impact, (ii) CV.
2. This file should be completely anonymized, in order to facilitate anonymous and compartmentalised judgements in the assessment procesdure. A writing sample paper, article, or book/thesis chapter. The writing sample should be presented as if for anonymous journal submission. In particular, if the writing sample is an already published article or book chapter, no indication of venue of publication should be given, to facilitate anonymous review.
The application will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
• Aptitude with respect to teaching courses in logic and in philosophy of economics, and (optional) in other domains of theoretical philosophy (epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of language, philosophy of cognition and of consciousness and/or philosophy of science), with ability to teach logic in Dutch being a plus,
• scientific quality as demonstrated through publications and/or other scientific activity,
• fit with Faculty of Philosophy’s research profile,
• societal relevance of future plans.
You may apply for this position until May 7 2018, 23.59 pm by sending your application to:
email@example.com, subject: Application Tenure-track Theoretical Philosophy.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Faculty of Philosophy
To the attention of: Prof. dr. Jack Vromen
P. O. Box 1738
3000 DR Rotterdam
For further questions, prospective applicants can contact:
Prof. dr. Jack Vromen: firstname.lastname@example.org