2 dagen geleden - Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam - Rotterdam
PhD in Philosophy
The Faculty of Philosophy is looking for a PhD candidate. The position is associated with the Erasmus Initiative “Dynamics of Inclusive Prosperity”, which is …
- Burgemeester Oudlaan, Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
The Faculty of Philosophy is looking for a PhD candidate. The position is associated with the Erasmus Initiative “Dynamics of Inclusive Prosperity”, which is a collaboration with the Erasmus School of Law and the Rotterdam School of Management.
As the successful candidate:
- You will have completed (or be near to completing) a master’s degree in philosophy by the time that you take up your position. Ideally, you also have a background in or affinity to law, management, or any other relevant social science.
- You are highly motivated to pursue a PhD in philosophy (your research can be in any area of philosophy, provided there is a suitable supervisor at the Faculty of Philosophy)
- Your academic work and record demonstrates your ability to argue rigorously, to structure your ideas clearly, and to engage with academic literatures critically and creatively.
- You have a good command of English, and strong communication and academic writing skills.
- You are a genuine teamplayer, have an entrepreneurial attitude, and value the interdisciplinary context of the Erasmus Initiative.
- Start the position as soon as possible, or 1 September 2018 at the latest.
- Complete a PhD thesis within the four-year contract period that has a meaningful and relevant connection to the research in the Erasmus Initiative, and is mainly supervised in philosophy, and co-supervised by a professor from one of the two partner schools.
- Play an active role in the research community by participating in research seminars and events, and organizing research events of your own related to the your research, other research programmes within the Faculty of Philosophy and the Erasmus Initiative
This position comes with good employment conditions, compliant with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO NU). The position begins with a temporary employment contract for 14 months in which the candidate’s suitability is evaluated. If the candidate is suitable, then an additional contract of 34 months follows, leading to a total appointment of 4 years. The salary is in accordance with the doctoral candidate scale of the CAO NU. For a full-time appointment, the salary is € 2,222 gross per month during the first year, which will increase annually up to € 2,840 gross per month in the fourth year. In addition, the attractive employment package includes an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, generous leave provisions for a healthy work-life balance, a good pension scheme, excellent options for collective insurance, and a provision for the use of the Internet at home. The employee may also use a number of campus facilities, such as sports facilities and the library.
To apply, please send your application package, no later than May 10, 2018 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “PhD Philosophy, Dynamics of Inclusive Prosperity” in the subject line.
The application package should include two files in PDF format:
- One non-anomymized PDF: Motivation letter and CV.
- One anonymized PDF, i.e. your name and other identifying information should not appear anywhere in the file: PhD research proposal (4-5 pages, excl. references) and a writing sample (max 10,000 words).
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. Conrad Heilmann (e-mail: email@example.com). A selection committee will be responsible for the selection of the candidate.
Diversity is one of our strategic priorities. Candidates from an ethnic minority, candidates with an international background and/or female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.