Postdoctoral researcher (3 years fixed-term, 1,0 FTE)
Research Theme “Values in Finance” We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher in philosophy, in the area of philosophy of economics, to …
- Burgemeester Oudlaan, Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
Research Theme “Values in Finance”
We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher in philosophy, in the area of philosophy of economics, to contribute to the research theme “Values in Finance”. Within this research theme, members of the core faculty of the Erasmus Initiative will engage in (i) detailed methodological assessment of finance models and theories through the lens of key theories in the philosophy of science, social science and economics regarding scientific values, explanation, and use of models, and (ii) contribute to debates regarding the future of scientific research in finance, especially with regards to non-epistemic value concepts related to sustainability and inclusive prosperity. The postdoctoral researcher is expected to focus on stream (i) of this research theme.
The postdoctoral researcher is expected to:
- Develop the research theme “Values in Finance” together with the scientific director and core faculty of the Erasmus Initiative;
- Collaborate closely with core faculty of the Erasmus Initiative, as well as researchers in the Department of Finance of RSM and researchers at the Erasmus Institute for Philosophy and Economics (EIPE) of ESPhil;
- Conduct original interdisciplinary research at the intersection of philosophy and finance, co-authoring scientific articles to be published in leading journals in the philosophy of science, social science, and economics, in particular on the methodology of economics, on questions regarding issues such as values in science, causality, explanation, and models in relation to finance;
- Disseminate the research at international academic conferences in philosophy of science, social science, and economics as well as in finance and at interdisciplinary workshops and events;
- Co-organise events and disseminate the research in the public domain;
- Contribute to teaching courses in the philosophy of science, social science, and economics.
The successful candidate will have:
- A PhD in philosophy;
- A developing publication record with proven excellence in philosophy of science, social science, and economics;
- Expertise in the philosophy of science, social science, and economics, in particular methodology of economics –an expertise on methodological questions regarding issues surrounding values, causality, explanation, and models in economics would be particularly relevant;
- Willingness to engage with macroeconomic and finance research at a high level of detail;
- Ability and willingness to play a leading role in an interdisciplinary research team and the dissemination of research in both interdisciplinary and public contexts;
- Ability and willingness to contribute to interdisciplinary teaching;
- An entrepreneurial attitude, outstanding social skills, and ability to work in teams.
We offer a stimulating and dynamic interdisciplinary research environment, with attractive fringe benefits in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). 80% of the position is to be devoted to research that contributes to part (i) of the “Values in Finance” research theme. 20% of the position is to be devoted to teaching in the philosophy of science, social science and economics.
The successful candidate is expected to start as soon as possible, and at the very latest on January 1, 2020. And will be based at ESPhil in Rotterdam. A full-time, three year contract with Erasmus University Rotterdam will be offered. In accordance with the conditions applied at Erasmus University Rotterdam as indicated in the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO NU) of the Dutch universities, the salary is dependent on the candidate’s experience and is set at CAO NU scale 11 with a minimum of € 3.637,- and a maximum of € 4978,- gross per month, on a fulltime basis. In addition, EUR pays an 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year payment of 8.3% and offers excellent secondary benefits.
In addition, EUR takes part in the ABP pension scheme, and we also offer partially paid parental leave. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Moreover, EUR staff members are allowed to make use of the EUR facilities, including the Erasmus sports centre and the University Library.
Information about the Erasmus Initiative Dynamics of Inclusive Prosperity is available at https://www.eur.nl/en/research/erasmus-initiatives/dynamics-inclusive-prosperity