Research Software Engineer - Natural Science
If you have the drive to continuously improve software, are creative, communicative, and enjoy tackling complex challenges, this is the job for you.
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Netherlands eScience Center is constantly looking for enthusiastic research software engineers (RSEs) to join the eScience Center Team. We are currently looking for candidates for our Natural Science and Engineering section to work on a variety of current and future projects.
What does your work look like?
You will be a part of a multidisciplinary team. You will typically work on 2 or 3 projects simultaneously. Projects vary in size from three-month consultancy projects to large multi-year collaborations. You will work on the project locations (various universities across the Netherlands), as well as in the office and you can work from home.
A typical day includes a stand-up or work meeting discussing the development focus: some issues with the code need testing and require further development. You keep abreast of the latest developments (both technological and scientific) in the project. You finish your contribution to a paper being written in your project. In the afternoon you attend an online presentation on a project you are interested in.
The Natural Science and Engineering section covers scientific fields ranging from sub-atomic particles physics to material science and astrophysics. We are developing software that allows to better describe and understand the physical world. Some of our projects have direct applications such as, the design of more efficient materials for solar energy harvesting or the optimization of the energy grid.
RSEs from the section are explicitly encouraged to explore scientific fields outside of their main expertise and can develop themselves by following external training, developing dedicated software, leading projects, conferences, and community events.
You are intrinsically motivated to solve complex research problems using digital methods. Above all, you can communicate effectively with both academic researchers and technical experts. Furthermore:
- You have experience in, or a strong affinity for, the natural or exact science domain;
- You have strong credentials in academic research like a PhD or equivalent, or are in possession of a vocational or academic degree (such as mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science or similar);
- You have experience with development of research software, methodologies, packages or open source frameworks to help researchers;
- We are currently particularly interested in the following profiles:
- Machine learning for physics and chemistry;
- High-performance computing: performance analysis, code optimization;
- Multi-scale and multi-physics simulations through model coupling.
- We work at the forefront of cutting-edge international research.
- You will be part of a team of intelligent, collaborative, and ambitious people with a passion for academic research.
- You will be given extensive opportunity to further develop your professional and personal capacities.
- Salary scales (between 9 and 12) based on our Collective Labour Agreement (WVOI Cao-OI) depending on qualifications and expertise.
- Excellent secondary benefits: the possibility to work part time, an allowance for travel and mobile expenses, a holiday allowance (8%), 42 holidays and an end year bonus (8,33%).
- Incoming international employees could benefit from significant government tax relief (30% ruling) for a set number of years.
Want to join us?
Please click on the 'Apply' button. Your application must contain a CV, a letter of motivation, applicable references, and a code sample, i.e., a piece of code that you wrote for a previous assignment and/or a link to your GitHub account or equivalent. We will get back to you within 7 days after receiving your application.
For more information about job opportunities at the eScience Center or about the hiring process, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.