In the position we offer, you apply your programming skills to offer practical solutions for the application of complex data in patient diagnostics. You will e…
(Sr) System Engineer (1309)
You will be part of the Instrument Science Group where experts contribute to space instruments ranging from cryogenically cooled instruments for Astrophysics in the far infrared and X-ray, to Earth Observation and Exoplanet characterization in ...
- Laan van Nieuw-Oost-Indi
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 40 uur
The expertise group Instrument Science has a vacancy for a
(Sr) System Engineer (f/m)
Vac. nr. 1309
You will be part of the Instrument Science Group where experts contribute to space instruments ranging from cryogenically cooled instruments for Astrophysics in the far infrared and X-ray, to Earth Observation and Exoplanet characterization in the visible and near infrared wavelength bands.
Within the Astrophysics program, you will work on the development of the X-ray Integral Field Unit (X-IFU) that will fly on ESA's Athena mission, due for launch in 2028. For this instrument, SRON is developing the cryogenic Focal Plane Assembly (FPA) where the transition-edge detector array and its cold readout electronics are housed. SRON is one of the leading groups in the world in developing the detectors and the read-out, Your responsibility as a lead system engineer is to bring in the space system engineering skills and knowledge, and to work with the project specialists on specific X-IFU needs.
The candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the system engineering of the X-IFU focal plane assembly, complemen-tary to the instrument scientist who takes responsibility for the performance and signal chain.
- Flow down of requirements from FPA level down to the sub-assembly and component level.
- Synthesis of sub-assembly and component level requirements, design and technology development plans, interface control documents, etc.
- Guide and control the development of components by the external partners.
- Be author or book captain of project documentation: Compliance matrix, design verification matrix, top level AIT plans, technical notes and reports of design trade-off studies.
The candidate shall have an excellent track record meeting several or most of the following requirements:
- Ph D. in a discipline related to instrumentation e.g. Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or Astronomy;
- Experience with the development of space instrumentation;
- Experience with cryogenic detector arrays, covering the complete signal chain;
- Experience with space system engineering or proven ability to work systematically having an overview beyond the boundaries of your own discipline;
- Well-structured and goal oriented approach;
- Good communicational skills, in particular, good knowledge of the English language
- Experience in project management skills is beneficial.
Employment of this fulltime position at SRON-Utrecht is by NWO (The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research) and will be for a period of two years with the possibility for an extension. If you have shown to fit well at SRON there is ample opportunity to continue your career. The salary for this position will be in accordance with the salary scales of NWO in a range between € 3,525.00 and € 5,512.00 gross per month on a fulltime basis (depending on education and experience).
NWO has good secondary employment conditions such as:
- An end of year bonus of 8.33% of the gross yearly salary;
- 42 days of vacation leave a year on full-time basis;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross yearly salary;
- An excellent pension scheme;
- We offer generous relocation expenses for employees coming from abroad and support with finding accommodation;
- Options for (additional) personal development;
- Excellent facilities for parental leave.
For further information about the position, please contact Dr B. Jackson, X-IFU project manager, email@example.com, Tel +31 50 363 8935, or Dr J. R. Gao, head of cryogenic section of the Instrument Science Group, firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 88 777 5710. Information about SRON can be found at www.sron.nl.
If you wish to apply you can send a motivation letter with CV to email@example.com as soon as possible, applications will be accepted until the position is fulfilled. Please state the vacancy number 1309 in the subject of your mail.
The position is located in Utrecht, but the institute has the strong intention to move to another location in The Netherlands in the future.
In the event of equal suitability, preference will be given to female applicants.
No commercial propositions please.
SRON's mission is to bring about breakthroughs in international space research. Therefore, the institute develops pioneering technology and advanced space instruments, and uses them to pursue fundamental astrophysical research, Earth science and exoplanetary research. As national expertise institute SRON gives counsel to the Dutch government and coordinates national contributions to international space missions. SRON stimulates the implementation of space science in our society.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature