PhD position (Accounting & Philosophy)
Nyenrode Business Universiteit is seeking a full-time PhD student with research interests relevant to the fields of accounting, accountancy, philosophy, and …
- Straatweg, Breukelen, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2592 - € 3474 per maand
Nyenrode Business Universiteit is seeking a full-time PhD student with research interests relevant to the fields of accounting, accountancy, philosophy, and ethics. The PhD program is a four-year fully funded program. The PhD student will join the Center for Accounting, Auditing & Control. Under the supervision of prof. dr. Ivo De Loo and prof. dr. Edgar Karssing, and strongly supported by dr. Herman van Brenk RA, the PhD student performs empirical research (both experimental and qualitative) within the area of accounting.
We are looking for candidates with a Master of Science in business and management, sociology, accounting, accountancy, or philosophy. Candidates must have strong analytical skills. In addition, they should possess good academic writing skills, good communication skills and speak good English.
We are interested in candidates with a clear academic research ambition and a background in either experimental and/or qualitative research methods. Candidates must have the ambition to publish in highly ranked international peer reviewed journals, and to develop a high-quality and original research portfolio that is relevant to academia and the business community. The objective is that the research project results in a number of original academic research papers, suitable for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals. In the first year, the candidate is expected to work on a research proposal in collaboration with the supervisors.
The PhD thesis ought to focus on tragedy in business and/or accountancy (settings). The (proverbial) ‘good’ is not always rewarded in everyday life. In fact, doing ‘good’ can (also) have ‘bad’ outcomes for those concerned: for yourself, for others. That is one of the main lessons learned of the classic tragedies of ancient Greece. What role does tragedy play in practice, in business and/or accountancy settings, and how can someone deal with such tragedy? That is the main issue to be addressed in this research. Potential elements include, but are not limited to:
- A philosophical and theoretical overview of types of tragedy and their potential application in business and/or accountancy settings;
- Interview accounts which reflect the different types of tragedy as witnessed in business and/or accountancy settings;
- Experimental studies to the effects of tragedy on judgment and decision-making in business and/or accountancy settings;
- Antinarratives focusing on tragedy in business and/or accountancy settings.
This fulltime PhD position involves research, teaching, and contributing to the academic community. The teaching responsibilities will include teaching tutorial sessions in accounting, accountancy and philosophy courses, grading and thesis supervision.
You hold an MSc, MA or MPhil degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited university, preferably in the fields mentioned above. You have an explicit interest in and motivation for academic research.
The PhD project is a salaried position (between € 2.592, - and € 3.474, -), which means that the appointed PhD candidate is employed by Nyenrode Business Universiteit as a promotion (PhD) candidate. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the collective labor agreement. In addition, a holiday allowance, end-of-year bonus, and a generous number of vacation days are part of employment conditions. Accepted candidates are appointed on a full-time basis for a duration up to four years, starting with an 18-month appointment.
We would like to receive your application package, consisting of:
- A university degree of minimum five years (300 ECTS credits) within the field of business (Master of Science), or equivalent education, of which at least two years (120 ECTS) at the master level that includes a master thesis as the final academic accomplishment;
- Candidates completing their Master of Science degree in the spring/summer of 2021 may also apply;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Excellent grades from your Master of Science degree (average of B or better and the same for the master thesis, or equivalent level in a different grading system);
- Good English written and oral language skills. Applicants from non-European countries where English is not the official language must present an official language test report;
- Good analytical skills and knowledge about research methods relevant for the proposed project;
- It is an advantage if candidates speak the Dutch language.
Interested in applying? Click on the 'apply now' button on this webpage and fill in the form with the abovementioned requirements. In addition to the formal requirements, the selection will be based on interview(s) with the intended supervisors and co-supervisor. Should you have any questions about the Nyenrode PhD School, you can contact dr. Melanie de Ruiter, who can be reached at email@example.com. Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.