Assistant Professor of Biological Neurochemistry (Tenure Track)
Biological neurochemistry is at the crossroads of chemistry and neuroscience. This young, emerging field adopts methods that are traditionally used in …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 4978 - € 4978 per maand
Biological neurochemistry is at the crossroads of chemistry and neuroscience. This young, emerging field adopts methods that are traditionally used in chemistry to apply them to biological systems. Relatively few scientists are currently working in this new, exciting field that offers ample opportunities to develop and apply novel chemical biology and/or medicinal chemistry methods to tackle relevant neuroscience questions in biology and medicine. This is expected to lead to groundbreaking novel insights in neuroscience and beyond. The ideal candidate for this position is a neuroscientist who has studied chemistry or biochemistry and uses chemical biology and biochemical approaches to study molecular mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative or neurological diseases.
The tasks of an Assistant Professor at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour and the Faculty of Science include research, education and management/organisation.
The position will be embedded in the Department of Molecular Neurobiology, which currently consists of two labs: Sharon Kolk's group studies cortical development and associated neurodevelopmental disorders, and Erik Storkebaum's group combines Drosophila and mouse genetics to study the molecular mechanisms underlying motor neurodegenerative disorders. The new research group is expected to create synergy and collaborate with research groups at the Institute for Molecules and Materials (IMM), in particular with medicinal chemistry oriented groups. In addition, interdisciplinary collaboration with the Donders Institute, the Radboud Institute of Molecular Life Sciences (RIMLS), and/or the Radboud university medical center is strongly encouraged.
- An established research line in the field of biological or medicinal neurochemistry.
- A collaborative, open attitude with excellent communication skills.
- Experience with acquiring external funding.
- An established publication record in top-ranked scientific journals.
- Experience with supervising undergraduate and, preferably, also graduate students.
- Experience with teaching undergraduate students and willingness to acquire the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ).
- Proven administrative, organisational and management qualities are a plus.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week.
- At the start of your tenure track you will be employed as an Assistant Professor level 2 (salary scale 11) for a six year period. Following a positive evaluation based on the criteria you will be appointed as an Assistant Professor level 1 (salary scale 12) on the basis of a permanent contract.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- The intended start date is 1 January 2021.
- Further information on tenure tracks at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. Erik Storkebaum
Tel.: 31 (0) 625 76 60 73
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature