Assistant Professor of Experimental Particle Physics (Tenure Track)
We seek a tenure-track assistant professor with experience and an interest in detector hardware and instrumentation. In first instance you will be expected to …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 4978 - € 4978 per maand
We seek a tenure-track assistant professor with experience and an interest in detector hardware and instrumentation. In first instance you will be expected to contribute to the upgrade of the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in the area of the data acquisition and trigger systems. In addition, you will have the opportunity to develop your own research line in the context of the group’s future activities. You will be expected to supervise a number of PhD students and to teach courses at all levels of the Bachelor’s and Master's programmes in Physics. You will also actively contribute to the supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s projects and will be involved in organisational tasks within the institute.
We value an open and outgoing attitude in relation to the interaction between the departments within the Faculty of Science, the recruitment of new students, and other outreach activities.
- A PhD in particle physics and a number of years of postdoctoral experience.
- An active interest in particle physics instrumentation as demonstrated by publications in scientific journals and presentations at conferences.
- Excellent knowledge of particle physics and a broad overview of the field.
- Ability to set up your own research programme and attract external project funding.
- Good teaching skills, preferably experience with teaching or student supervision and a commitment to teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Ability to work effectively in a team of researchers.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,987 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 11). Annual salary € 69,743.
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 6 years. At the start of the tenure track you will be appointed as an Assistant Professor, Level 2 (salary scale 11). If your performance is evaluated positively at the end of your tenure track, you will be permanently appointed as an Assistant Professor, Level 1 (salary scale 12). For a more senior candidate, an Associate Professor (salary scale 13-14) profile may be applicable.
- The intended start date is 1 April 2020.
- The Faculty of science is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Additional informationFor more information about this vacancy, please contact:
prof. dr. N. de Groot, secretary of the search committee