The Student Life Officer (SLO) is responsible for the development and management of the LUC residential life system. With teaching and living facilities …
PhD Candidate: Anthropology and Development Studies
The Department of Anthropology and Development Studies at Radboud University is looking for a PhD candidate. The department is developing and implementing a …
- Comeniuslaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 38 uur
The Department of Anthropology and Development Studies at Radboud University is looking for a PhD candidate. The department is developing and implementing a research and teaching programme in which the focus will be on cultural diversity and inequality. Under this overall theme, a research project has been developed entitled ‘ Living from hand to mouth: the role of social protection in the forging of multi-sited livelihood strategies. A case study of informal settlement residents in the Eastern Cape, South Africa’. The prospective PhD candidate will be expected to contribute to this project (more detailed information about the project can be obtained from Prof. M. Spierenburg, email@example.com).
As a PhD candidate you will conduct ethnographic and mixed methods research in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Prior to fieldwork, you will participate in PhD training modules relevant to the research project. During the preparation and writing phase of the project, you will be based at Radboud University in Nijmegen.
This position includes some teaching responsibilities related to the subjects of the research project. You will contribute to both the department’s Bachelor ‘s and Master’s degree programmes.
- a Master’s degree in Development Studies or Anthropology;
- experience with ethnographic and/or mixed methods research;
- enthusiasm for fieldwork and writing;
- an interest in teaching;
- good proficiency in written and spoken English;
- good social skills and the ability to collaborate with colleagues and respondents from different disciplines and backgrounds.
- employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- the gross starting salary amounts to €2,222 per month, and will increase to €2,840 in the fourth year (salary scale P)
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years
- as part of the contract, you will participate in teaching for approximately 10% of your work time
- you will be classified as a PhD candidate(Promovendus) in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO)
- you will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation
Intended start date is 1 September 2018.
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Marja Spierenburg, Professor
Telefoon: +3124 361 57 86
No commercial propositions please.