PhD Candidate for the Tragic Entertainment as Terror Management Project
As a PhD candidate, you will conduct research on the existential motives behind the consumption of eudaimonic entertainment, tragic films in particular. …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
As a PhD candidate, you will conduct research on the existential motives behind the consumption of eudaimonic entertainment, tragic films in particular. Within this project, you will carry out a multidisciplinary literature review and experimental studies on the following central research question: do people watch tragic films to suppress their fear of death or to conquer it? This research study will result in a scientific dissertation and the project itself is part of a larger project entitled: 'Beyond a fear of death: Exploring the terror management potential of eudaimonic entertainment', financed by the Dutch Research Council (NWO) through its Open Competition in the Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Preferably, you have a Research Master's degree in communication studies, language and communication, social psychology, or a similar discipline. Candidates without a Research Master's degree are advised to apply only if they have demonstrable, relevant research experience.
- You are an expert in the field of terror management and/or eudaimonic entertainment, as evidenced by relevant publications and conference presentations.
- You have demonstrable experience developing and conducting experimental research.
- You have excellent quantitative data analysis skills.
- You have excellent writing and presentation skills in both Dutch and English.
- You have an affinity for multidisciplinary research, as evidenced by previous courses, conference visits, and/or publications in this field.
- You are inquisitive, flexible, and a team player, capable of researching and embracing topics from various perspectives.
- You have an affinity for books and/or films.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,325 per month, and will increase to €2,972 in the fourth year (salary scale P).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Additional informationFor more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. dr. Enny Das, Communication and Influence