PhD Candidate in Security and Privacy of Smart Mobile Devices
Over the past decade, the digital life of most people has moved from stationary devices such as desktop computers to computationally powerful mobile devices, …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
Over the past decade, the digital life of most people has moved from stationary devices such as desktop computers to computationally powerful mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets or smartwatches. Not only do these devices bring a new level of convenience for users, they are also much more vulnerable to attacks that compromise the confidentiality of users’ private data - as revealed by whistleblower Edward Snowden’s global surveillance disclosures.
One might think that similar attacks existed before, but mobile smart devices offer many new attack vectors that are not known from stationary desktop PCs. For example, a new class of attack vector results from the plethora of sensors these devices carry, such as GPS and motion sensors. While some of these attacks can be thwarted by sensible use of strong cryptography - for instance, there now exist secure text-messenger apps that allow users to encrypt their communication - strong cryptography alone is not able to protect against attacks that exploit side channels. Side channels allow the exploitation of information emanating from the physical device, such as electromagnetic radiation and power consumption.
The research focus can be tuned to your interests. You will be expected to investigate the different classes of attacks on smart mobile devices through the analysis of hardware and software requirements and design countermeasures using novel and creative ideas by studying the problem from different angles. Your findings will then be applied to other problem areas such as the Internet of Things.
- A Master’s degree in computer science or a relevant discipline.
- Excellent programming skills.
- A good command of spoken and written English.
- Good communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with your peers and stakeholders.
- Employment: 40 hours per week.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,325 per month, and will increase to €2,972 in the fourth year (p scale).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Veelasha Moonsamy, Assistant Professor
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature