Ongeveer 19 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD Candidate: Sensorimotor Control in the Real World
How the brain controls the action-perception cycle is a central question in the cognitive neurosciences. Lab-based studies suggest that this cycle is …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
How the brain controls the action-perception cycle is a central question in the cognitive neurosciences. Lab-based studies suggest that this cycle is controlled by dynamic sensory and motor feedback modulated by context and shaped by past experience. A serious challenge to this knowledge, however, is these studies’ ecological validity. For example, the brain's visual system is tuned to the statistics of natural scenes and its motor system is shaped by natural usage of the body. Guided by optimality principles, the aim of this project is to study the action-perception cycle in the real world, with an emphasis on the role of the vestibular system. Using wearable devices, we will capture motion and neural signals in naturalistic environments, where eye, head, arm and body movements are ubiquitous and where the applicability of traditional recording methods falls short. We will use methods from data science and Bayesian modelling to analyse and model the data, and seek application of the new results to a clinical population.
You will be part of the Donders Graduate School for Cognitive Neuroscience.
Preference will be given to candidates with an MSc in cognitive neuroscience, artificial intelligence, biomedical science or engineering, physics, movement sciences, or a related field, who are highly motivated to conduct challenging interdisciplinary empirical, model-driven, and ecologically relevant research. Strong mathematical and programming skills and a demonstrable affinity with quantitative data analysis (e.g. Matlab, Python) are required. Experience with psychophysical and patient studies is desirable.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,325 per month, and will increase to €2,972 in the fourth year (p scale).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years.
- The intended start date is as soon as possible.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Additional informationFor more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Pieter Medendorp, Professor of Sensorimotor Neuroscience
Tel.: +3124 361 60 41