PhD Candidate Soft Bio-mimetic Materials
Cells grow in a gel-like environment, called the extracellular matrix. The properties of the ECM are crucial for cell behaviour and over the years many …
- Comeniuslaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
Cells grow in a gel-like environment, called the extracellular matrix. The properties of the ECM are crucial for cell behaviour and over the years many hydrogels have been developed to function as an artificial matrix. Some cells, however, require an ordered gel environment, which cannot be provided by simple synthetic gels.
As a PhD Candidate, you will develop new approaches towards the organisation of different hydrogels. In addition, you will (quantitatively) characterise the anisotropy in the materials.
The research project is a collaboration within the Research Centre for Functional Molecular Systems (fmsresearch.nl/). Once anisotropic gels have been developed, you will closely collaborate with our FMS partners to use these materials in cell culturing experiments.
The core of the project will be carried out in the Molecular Materials Group of the Institute for Molecules and Materials at Radboud University. The group specialises in the development of functional biomimetic hydrogels.
- an MSc degree in chemistry with affinity for physical chemistry
- strong motivation to work in a highly interdisciplinary and collaborative research team
- excellent skills in written and spoken English
- employment: 1.0 FTE
- the gross starting salary amounts to €2,222 per month, and will increase to €2,840 in the fourth year (P scale)
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years
- you will be classified as a PhD Candidate in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO)
- you will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Paul Kouwer, Assistant Professor
Telefoon: +3124 365 24 64
No commercial propositions please.