Associate / Full Professor of Theoretical Biophysics and Machine Learning
A world from which we demand more and more requires people who can make a contribution. Critical thinkers who will take a closer look at what is really …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- € 5864 - € 8539 per maand
A world from which we demand more and more requires people who can make a contribution. Critical thinkers who will take a closer look at what is really important. As a Professor, you will perform leading research and teach students in the area of theoretical biophysics and physics-based machine learning, to strengthen the role and visibility of the international Theoretical Biophysics landscape.
As a successful candidate you will join the Department of Biophysics at the Donders Center for Neuroscience (DCN) and perform internationally leading theoretical research in an area of theoretical biophysics or physics-based machine learning. You are interested in applications of theoretical biophysics methods to neuroscience problems studied in the DCN, and you will engage actively in interdisciplinary research collaborations with other physicists in the Faculty of Science and with external partners. You will contribute to the teaching and the innovation of Radboud's popular theoretical machine learning and biophysics courses, and possibly contribute to other core undergraduate physics subjects taught at the Faculty of Science. You will supervise students' research projects at the Bachelor's, Master's and PhD levels. Finally, you will contribute to the effective administration of Radboud University and the acquisition of research funding, and will strengthen the role and visibility of Radboud University in the international Theoretical Biophysics landscape.
- You hold a PhD degree in theoretical physics or applied mathematics.
- You have a strong international research reputation in an area of theoretical biophysics or physics-based machine learning, as evidenced by your track record of publications and the acquisition of research grants.
- You have a genuine affinity for academic teaching in physics, and the ability to design undergraduate and postgraduate programmes as well as integrate research effectively into courses and projects.
- You have at least five years of academic teaching experience following your PhD.
- You have obtained a University Teaching Qualification or equivalent (or are committed to securing this qualification as soon as possible upon appointment).
- You combine being a team player with strong leadership and administrative skills, specifically in terms of inspiring young scientists and in providing a research team with a clear sense of direction and purpose.
- You have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 8,539 based on a 38-hour working week as a Full Professor (salary scale H2). An appointment as an Associate Professor with the potential to further develop as a Full Professor is also possible. An Associate Professor will be employed as an Associate Professor level 2 (salary scale 13, maximum gross monthly salary of €6,444) or Associate Professor level 1 (salary scale 14, maximum gross monthly salary of €7,079), depending on your scientific track record and experience.
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a permanent employment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.