Junior Researcher / Teacher on Geographical Information Systems
We are looking for a Junior Researcher / Teacher to help us revise the BSc course 'Introduction to Geographical Information Systems'. Geographical information …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 uur
- € 4402 - € 4402 per maand
We are looking for a Junior Researcher / Teacher to help us revise the BSc course 'Introduction to Geographical Information Systems'.
Geographical information is of increasing importance for society and research. This also holds for the field of environmental sciences, since many environmental issues have a spatial dimension. At Radboud University we offer students the possibility to train themselves in managing and analysing spatial information with the help of Geographical Information Systems (GIS). We provide an introductory course in GIS for science students at the BSc level, i.e. students of environmental sciences, biology and chemistry. The course makes extensive use of online learning materials. The current 'Introduction to Geographical Information Systems' course was developed approximately 15 years ago and has been regularly updated. Although many parts of the course are still relevant, we want to update the course so it reflects the latest scientific developments, insights and trends.
As a Junior Researcher / Teacher your most important duties will involve updating the course to the latest version of ArcGIS and including a new section for students to familiarise themselves with alternatives to ArcGIS, such as QGIS and Google Earth Engine. In addition, you will work on expanding the course with an assignment on automatic image classification. You will update the section on remote sensing to reflect the possibilities of new and refined sensing technologies (e.g. unmanned systems for photogrammetry and remote sensing, 3D imaging, and structure-from-motion). Furthermore you will update and expand the two individual assignments that students have to make during the course. You will also update and expand the final assignments in which students apply their acquired skills and knowledge in a small project.
- An MSc degree in one of the Earth Sciences, preferably Geographical Information Science, or a similar level acquired through practical experience.
- Affinity with developing (online) educational material and a good overview of the field of Geographical Information Science, including recent developments in this field.
- Extensive experience with GIS software, e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS and/or Google Earth Engine.
- Passion, commitment, analytical thinking, a cooperative attitude and communication skills.
- Employment: 32 hours per week.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,402 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 10).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 4 months with a possible extension to 6-8 months.
- The intended start date is as soon as possible.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions. They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. dr. Ad Ragas, Professor in Environmental Science
Dr. Peter Vermeiren, Postdoctoral researcher