Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
PhD Candidate for Development and Application of Operando NMR Methods for Studying Electrocatalysis
Do you want to use your knowledge of chemistry and physics to help reduce climate change? As a PhD Candidate, you will develop and apply operando NMR methods …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- € 2434 - € 3111 per maand
Do you want to use your knowledge of chemistry and physics to help reduce climate change? As a PhD Candidate, you will develop and apply operando NMR methods for studying electrocatalysis. You will work towards the goal of reducing CO2 emission via green electrochemical synthesis of commodity chemicals such as ammonia.
The Magnetic Resonance Research Center at the Institute for Molecules and Materials of Radboud University Nijmegen is looking for a PhD candidate to develop and apply operando NMR methods for studying electrocatalysis under the supervision of Dr Evan Wenbo Zhao (tenure-track assistant professor). The system of particular interest is electrochemical reduction of nitrogen. The PhD project has two major components - one is operando NMR method development and the other is electrocatalysis. You will therefore be expected to develop a skill set in NMR spectroscopy, electrochemistry and catalysis. This combined skill set will be much in demand in academia and industry upon your successful graduation. The overarching goal of this PhD project is to help reduce CO2 emission through green electrochemical synthesis of commodity chemicals such as ammonia. We contribute to this goal by pushing the fundamental understanding of reaction mechanisms through the new NMR approach.
You should be keen to work in a collaborative environment, and are interested in spin physics, electrochemistry, catalysis or building/modifying scientific instruments, including NMR probes and flow reactors.
- A Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Chemistry, Physics or Chemical Engineering.
- A good team player mentality.
- Experience in NMR or electrocatalysis is desirable but not required.
- Employment: 0,8 (5 year contract) - 1,0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,434 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,111 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- Your education task may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Additional informationFor more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Evan Wenbo Zhao, Assistant Professor
Arno Kentgens, Professor
Tel.: +31 24 365 20 78