PhD Candidate in Computer Science
As a PhD candidate on this project, you will conduct research in theoretical Computer Science at the intersection of mathematics, logic and computer science. …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- € 2443 - € 3122 per maand
As a PhD candidate on this project, you will conduct research in theoretical Computer Science at the intersection of mathematics, logic and computer science. Proof assistants are systems for the development and verification of formal mathematical proofs. One of the great challenges in this field is the formalisation of a proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. This is currently out of reach, but in this project we will make inroads on this. The aim of the project is to make a formal counterpart in a proof assistant of an existing overview article of a proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. In this formalisation, proofs that are not in the paper will be omitted for now. However, all definitions that are needed to write the formal statements from the paper will be fully formalised. This project will be carried out in collaboration with mathematicians from Imperial College in London and the Free University in Amsterdam.
Your teaching load may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- You hold an MSc or equivalent degree in computer science, mathematics or a closely related field.
- You are able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- You are proficient in English (Dutch is not required).
- You should be mathematically mature.
- Prior knowledge of proof assistants is not required, but it is important that you are excited about formalisation of mathematics.
- Employment for 0.8 (5 year contract) - 1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,443 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,122 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
For questions about the position, please contact Freek Wiedijk, Assistant Professor at Freek.firstname.lastname@example.org