PhD Candidate/Junior Lecturer in Strategic Management and Governance in the Digital Age
Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are taking on more prominent roles in society. This increasingly leads to questions concerning their …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- € 2836 - € 4474 per maand
Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are taking on more prominent roles in society. This increasingly leads to questions concerning their responsibility and accountability and how these platforms should be regulated. As a PhD Candidate, you will work towards laying the foundation for a governance system for organizations and regulatory institutions in today’s digital society.
As a PhD Candidate/Junior Lecturer you will have both research (50%) and teaching (50%) duties for a 6-year period. You will work on a PhD project under the supervision of Prof. Hans van Kranenburg and Dr. Stephanie Koornneef. The PhD project focuses on the impact of digitalisation, datafication, and platformisation on organisations and existing regulatory institutions and processes in the media sector. Furthermore, the project will address what kind of regulation would be necessary and how to create a smart regulatory regime and process for the sector. Questions concerning the responsibility and accountability of media platforms and how those platforms should or should not be regulated are increasingly raised as platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram take on more prominent roles in society. For instance, Facebook has taken it up themselves to delete posts with fake news and accompany posts regarding COVID-19 and its vaccines by a disclaimer in an effort to take responsibility.
The PhD project aims to lay the foundation for an effective governance system for organisations and regulatory institutions in the digital society by developing knowledge at the crossroads of (common) public values, platform-ecosystem mechanisms, datafication, and new institutional arrangements. A more detailed project description is available upon request from Prof. Hans van Kranenburg (firstname.lastname@example.org). On the basis of this project description you will be expected to develop a more elaborate research proposal in this area in the first and second year of your appointment. This proposal will have to be approved by the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Nijmegen School of Management. You will enrol in the PhD programme at the IMR Doctoral School.
Your teaching responsibilities include giving tutorials/lectures in the Bachelor's degree programmes offered by the Department of Business Administration, as well as in the Master's degree programmes in Strategic Management and/or International Business. Whilst holding this position, you will be given the opportunity to obtain your university teaching qualification.
- You hold a Master's degree in a relevant field of Business Administration or Communication or equivalent.
- You have academic excellence, as demonstrated by your grade transcripts and CV.
- You have excellent writing skills, as evidenced by a chapter from your Master's thesis, a forthcoming or published article or a presented conference paper.
- You have the ability to develop a research proposal in the area of strategic management, governance and digitalisation, datafication, or platformisation.
- You have the ability to teach in English; Dutch teaching skills would be an advantage.
- You are enthusiastic and highly motivated.
- You have the ability to finish your PhD thesis in time, i.e. strong skills in project management, flexibility and proactive behaviour.
- Employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,836 and a maximum of €4,474 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 10).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 6 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.