PhD Candidate: Miniaturised Methane Sensor for Dairy Farming
We are looking for an enthusiast PhD candidate with a technical background to work together with a multidisciplinary team, investigating the potential of new …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2443 - € 3122 per maand
We are looking for an enthusiast PhD candidate with a technical background to work together with a multidisciplinary team, investigating the potential of new technologies such as integrated photonics for methane measurements, developing and applying an optical sensor for the detection of methane in exhaled breath of cows at user facilities.
You will be appointed as a PhD candidate at the IMM. This institute is one of the major research institutes of the Faculty of Science at Radboud University, comprising 19 research groups in areas ranging from condensed matter science to organic chemistry and biochemistry. The institute focuses on fundamental research with a view to developing applications for society and educates the next generation of leaders in science and innovation. IMM distinguishes itself from peer institutes through close collaborations and rich interactions between chemists and physicists and/or experimentalists and theorists, and also through its excellent infrastructures.
Your teaching load may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- A Master’s degree in electrical engineering, physics or a related discipline.
- Good knowledge of optics, lasers and lock-in techniques or optical chip data acquisition and signal processing; prior experience with spectroscopy and/or miniaturised sensing systems (e.g. photonics technology) is desired.
- Programming skills (MatLab, Lab view).
- You should be a team player who enjoys working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Good communication and organisation skills.
- Fluency in English is required, basic oral expression skills in Dutch are desirable for communication with users.
- Employment for 0.8 (5 year contract) - 1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,443 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,122 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Simona Cristescu, Assistant Professor