Postdoctoral Researcher: Analysis of Quasilinear Parabolic PDEs
We invite applications for a postdoctoral position in the field of partial differential equations funded through the NWO grant OCENW.KLEIN.358. The project …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 4402 - € 4402 per maand
We invite applications for a postdoctoral position in the field of partial differential equations funded through the NWO grant OCENW.KLEIN.358. The project addresses quasilinear parabolic equations arising in mathematical models for biofilm growth. The position is for three years, does not include any teaching duties, and will be supervised by Dr Stefanie Sonner. The starting date is flexible but must be no later than January 2021. Applicants from groups that are underrepresented in science are particularly encouraged to apply.
The research project focuses on the mathematical analysis of quasilinear reaction diffusion systems modelling the growth and formation of bacterial biofilms. Their characteristic feature are the degenerate diffusion coefficients for the biomass fractions comprising a power-law degeneracy (known from the porous medium equation) and a super diffusion singularity. The aim is to establish well-posedness results and to investigate qualitative properties of solutions such as their regularity and long-time behaviour. Applicants should hold a PhD degree in mathematics and be familiar with nonlinear partial differential equations and/or reaction-diffusion systems.
- You should hold a PhD degree in mathematics, or be on track to obtain one before the start of the project.
- You are familiar with nonlinear partial differential equations and/or reaction-diffusion systems.
- You are an enthusiastic mathematician and are eager to contribute to the research project.
- You are able to work in a team as well as independently.
- You have a good level of language proficiency in English.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 4.402 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 10).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 12 months, after which your contract can be extended by up to 2 years.
- The intended start date is January 2021 at the latest and to be decided in consultation with you (preferably as soon as possible).
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Dr Stefanie Sonner, Assistant Professor
Tel.: +31 24 3652993