Assistant Professor ‘Preclinical therapies for inherited neurometabolic diseases’
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Assistant Professor (Universitair Docent) to perform preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited …
- Geert Grooteplein Zuid, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 32 uur
- € 3808 - € 5944 per maand
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Assistant Professor (Universitair Docent) to perform preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited neurometabolic diseases.
This large group of more than 600 different recessive conditions present with central and peripheral nervous system features (epilepsy, dementia, neuropathy, sensory deficiency) which are usually progressive in nature. For an increasing number of these conditions (n>100) therapeutic options are available, varying from nutritional supplements, medical diets, small molecule therapies, organ transplant, stem cell and gene therapies. Only a subset is currently included in the newborn screening panels.
In this position, you will focus on preclinical therapeutic studies for inherited neurometabolic diseases including pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy, Glucose-1 transporter deficiency, congenital disorders of glycosylation and mitochondrial disorders. Modelling these diseases in cell lines including patient's induced pluripotent stem cell derived neurons and model organisms is key in your program. This also involves phenotyping with identification of outcome parameters, high throughput compound screening, gene-based therapies (e.g. CrispR-Cas9) and RNA-based therapies (e.g. anti-sense oligonucleotides). Efficacy studies will include structural, functional and biochemical parameters, using experimental strategies like omics-based approaches, neuro-imaging, neurophysiologic studies. The content of this work is in line with the goals of the Dutch consortium 'United for Metabolic Diseases'.
Tasks and responsibilities
The successful candidate is a translational researcher who will:
- Design, supervise and perform a scientific program in the area of in vitro and in vivo translational neuroscience, metabolic medicine and molecular biology.
- Collaborate with colleagues in multiple disciplines in fundamental, clinical and translational science.
- Generate and analyses the data for scientific publications and presents findings at scientific meetings.
- Supervise researchers at the Bsc, MSc, MD, PhD and post-doc level.
- Teach courses in related Radboudumc study programs.
- Work in a stimulating and highly ambitious research environment.
- Apply for funding at the local, national and institutional levels.
- A background in molecular / cell biology is highly desirable.
- Excellent post-doctoral researcher who preferably obtained their PhD degree within the last 5 years.
- Strong motivation to perform top internationally-recognized research.
- At least 2 years of post-doctoral experience.
- At least six months of international experience.
- A proven research track record in research, publications, funding
- High affinity for applied research in the Radboudumc metabolic research theme
- Works independently but can also work well in a team.
- Strong skills in project management, flexibility, proactive behavior and excellent communication and scientific writing skills.
ConditionsSalary is depending on experience according to Cao umc scale 11 or 12 plus additional vacation bonus (8% per year) and end of year payments (8,3% per year).
Upon commencement of employment we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be, depending on the type of job, a screening based on the provided cv. Radboud university medical center's HR Department will apply for this certificate on your behalf.
Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions and what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands.
Additional informationAn assessment may be part of the selection procedure.
Applicants should send a letter of intent outlining special interest in the position, overall related qualifications, experience and career goals, a curriculum vitae and names and addresses of at least three professional references.
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. Clara van Karnebeek or from Prof. Dirk Lefeber via the secretary office, +31(24) 361 44 30. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Please apply before 29 May 2020.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature