PhD candidate Chronic Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a heterogenic group of disorders that has a variety of causes and underlying pathologies. As a result, most of the research in …
- Geert Grooteplein Zuid, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
- € 2422 - € 3103 per maand
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a heterogenic group of disorders that has a variety of causes and underlying pathologies. As a result, most of the research in CKD is focused on common pathways rather than the causative factors. By studying rare monogenic disorders, it is possible to increase our understanding of the molecular mechanisms involved in common disorders such as CKD.
Recently, we identified mutations in FAM111A in patients with renal failure, short stature, hypoparathyroidism and hypomagnesemia. This syndrome has been first described in the 1960s and has been named Kenny-Caffey syndrome type 2 (KCS2). Although KCS2 has long been considered as an endocrine disorder, our recent findings show that FAM111A mutations cause renal failure and magnesium wasting.
FAM111A is a nuclear protein that is ubiquitously expressed, but its function is largely unknown. Our preliminary pull-down and RNA-sequencing experiments indicate that FAM111A interacts with transcription factors. In this PhD project, the role of FAM111A will be studied to understand how FAM111A contributes to renal failure in patients with KCS2 as well as in the general population.
Tasks and responsibilities
The PhD candidate:
- Will design and perform scientific research in the area of molecular biology, biochemistry and physiology.
- Generates and analyses the data in order to contribute to scientific publications and presents findings at scientific meetings.
- Works in a team with other students and scientists to discuss, plans and performs research in a stimulating environment.
- Works in a highly ambitious and international research group with fellows from many countries.
- Completes the project with a scientific dissertation.
- MSc in (Medical) Biology or Biomedical Sciences.
- Independent and well-structured working style.
- Strong motivation to succeed in scientific research.
- Well-developed social skills directed to work in a team.
- Experience with (bio)medical research and molecular level of thinking.
- Preferentially permitted to work with animals (art. 9).
ConditionsUpon commencement of employment we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be, depending on the type of job, a screening based on the provided cv. Radboud university medical center's HR Department will apply for this certificate on your behalf.
Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions and what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands.
- An assessment may be part of the selection procedure.
- Applicants should send a letter of intent outlining special interest in the position, overall related qualifications, experience and career goals, a curriculum vitae and names and addresses of professional references.
Please apply before October 7, 2019.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature