Project descriptionThe researcher will carry out research on Buddhist scriptures. This is part of the ERC-funded project, “The Composition of Buddhist …
PhD candidate 'Epigenetics of impulsive and aggressive behaviour relevant to neurodevelopmental disorders
In this project, we will combine the strengths of working with animal models involving dysfunctional attention, impulsivity, and aggression and studying existing, well-phenotyped longitudinal and cross-sectional ADHD cohorts at high risk for impulsivity and aggression.
- Geert Grooteplein Zuid, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 uur
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist to work on the epigenetics of impulsive and aggressive behaviour relevant to neurodevelopmental disorders, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in particular. You will join our interdisciplinary research group at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour and will also spend 1 year (year 2 of the project) at the Brain Mind Institute of the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL).
Both genetic factors and environmental adversity contribute to impulsivity and aggression, but research has mainly dealt separately with each of the two risk factor domains. Epigenetics research offers an excellent opportunity to integrate the contributions to behavior from a person’s genome and its environment. However, tissue- and cell-specificity of epigenetic profiles have largely held back epigenetics research in humans, where one has to work mainly with blood or saliva. In this project, we will combine the strengths of working with animal models involving dysfunctional attention, impulsivity, and aggression and studying existing, well-phenotyped longitudinal and cross-sectional ADHD cohorts at high risk for impulsivity and aggression.
This interdisciplinary, cross-species study will use innovative approaches to investigate the biological underpinnings of impulsivity and aggression in its genetic, epigenetic, and neural substrates. It will generate new insights into the role of gene-environment interplay in behaviours of high societal relevance. For this study, we can rely on extensive, high quality infrastructure and existing data sets. In addition, new data are also collected. The project will be supervised by Dr. Marieke Klein, Prof. Dr. Barbara Franke and Prof. Dr. Carmen Sand.
- A highly motivated scientist with a Master’s degree in cognitive neuroscience or an adjacent field (psychological, biological, or biomedical) with affinity with psychiatry/psychiatric disorders;
- A strong background in statistical analysis;
- The ability to participate in an interdisciplinary research environment with a goal-directed attitude and good organizational skills;
- Experience with linux environment, R coding, shell scripting, and/or other (bio)infomatics tools is a major plus;
- Good communication and social skills, and willing to guide junior researchers and enjoys working as part of a team;
- Interested in working in an international environment, with the opportunity to spend the second year of the project at the EPFL in Lausanne;
- You recognise yourself in the Radboud way of working.
Scale 10A: max € 40814 gross per year at full employment (incl. vacation bonus and end of year payments).
The position is funded for 48 months, starting in summer 2018.
Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions.
Your application should consist of an up-to-date CV (including publications) as well as a personal motivation letter and contact information on two referees. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Barbara Franke, full professor Department of Human Genetics.Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Upon commencement of employment we require a certificate of conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG) and there will be a screening based on the provided CV. Radboud university medical center’s HR Department will apply for this certificate on your behalf.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature