3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD candidate 'Hydrogels as Synthetic Extracellular Matrix'
We are looking for a PhD candidate to investigate 'Hydrogels as Synthetic Extracellular Matrix'. The aim of this project is to design predictive bone-healing- …
- Geert Grooteplein Zuid, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
- € 2495 - € 3196 per maand
FunctieomschrijvingWe are looking for a PhD candidate to investigate 'Hydrogels as Synthetic Extracellular Matrix'. The aim of this project is to design predictive bone-healing-on-chip models as an alternative to traditional animal testing. To this end, we aim to design advanced in vitro models for bone defect healing that recapitulate both the dynamic viscoelastic nature of the extracellular matrix (ECM) and the spatial heterogeneity of cells in bone. Will you join our team?
Traditional pathways towards development of regenerative biomaterials require extensive in vivo animal testing. This traditional biomaterial design paradigm is increasingly ethically challenged in view of the large amount of sacrificed animals, while these models often fail to accurately predict the clinical response in human patients. Moreover, current in vitro methods also cannot reliably predict the clinical performance of these therapies, and often generate contradictory outcomes as compared to in vivo studies. This lack of predictability originates from the oversimplicity of in vitro models, which currently fail to recapitulate the complexity of the in vivo environment with respect to both extracellular and cellular components.
This position is funded by a Hypatia Tenure Track Grant (BoneChipPredict) of Radboud university medical center. BoneChipPredict will combine bottom-up biomaterial design and biofabrication strategies to develop predictive bone-healing-on-chip models. Subsequently, you will focus on bottom-up design of hydrogel biomaterials as synthetic ECM mimics for in vitro bone models. Ultimately, BoneChipPredict aims to deliver an alternative platform for evaluation of regenerative therapies, aiming to provide a new avenue for replacement of traditional animal testing.
Tasks and responsibilities
- To develop and characterize (supramolecular) hydrogels as synthetic ECM for bone tissue models.
- To investigate the fundamental relationship between composition, structure and functional (biological) properties of hydrogels.
- To investigate interactions between cells and hydrogel biomaterials for advanced bone-on-chip models at a fundamental level.
- To collaborate with the second PhD student to be appointed within the BoneChipPredict project as well as other PhD students and postdocs within the Regenerative Biomaterials group.
- To supervise BSc and MSc students and disseminate the obtained knowledge by scientific publications and presentations at (inter)national conferences.
- To contribute to translation of basic research towards advanced in vitro tissue models.
We are looking for a PhD candidate with a deep scientific curiosity, eagerness to work in a highly collaborative and multidisciplinary research team, and the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- MSc degree in one of the fields of biomedical sciences/engineering, materials science/engineering, or (bio)chemistry/chemical engineering (or related fields).
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: biomaterials, (supramolecular) chemistry, tissue engineering/regenerative medicine, and/or cell/spheroid/organoid culture.
- Strongly developed writing and communication skills in English.
ConditionsThe preferred starting date for this position is 1 May 2022. Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At Radboud university medical center, you will be given trust, and you will take the responsibility to handle everything together. We provide annual courses, both professional and personal.
- In addition to your monthly salary and an annual vacation allowance of 8%, you will receive an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance.
- As a full-time employee (36 hours per week), you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.
Are you joining us from abroad? Our International Office can assist you when moving to the Netherlands.