3 dagen geleden - Radboud Universiteit (RU) - Nijmegen
PhD candidate 'Retina-on-Chip: Modeling and Treating Eye diseases in a dish'
The eye is the window to the world around us. Losing vision either early or late in life is a significant burden for patients. Nowadays, molecular therapies …
- Geert Grooteplein Zuid, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
- € 2495 - € 3196 per maand
FunctieomschrijvingThe eye is the window to the world around us. Losing vision either early or late in life is a significant burden for patients. Nowadays, molecular therapies for eye conditions are at the forefront of personalized medicine development. However, the eye is a very complex and specialized organ and the lack of relevant and robust models hampers the progress in understanding the disease mechanisms and designing effective treatments. Will you join our group?
In your PhD project you will generate and investigate several retinal cells using from induced pluripotent stem cells from patients suffering from different diseases to find proper measurable readouts. We aim to create a cellular system based on iPSC human cells to generate a retina-on-a-chip to understand disease mechanism(s) and assess therapeutics.
This work will be done in collaboration with the University of Twente and two industrial partners. This project is funded by the Partnership programme Human Measurement models 2.0 for research into the treatment and/or prevention of diseases is funded by the Association of Collaborating Health Foundations (SGF) with a PPP allowance made available by Health~Holland (Top Sector Life Sciences & Health), by ZonMw and NWO Domain AES, and Stichting Proefdiervrij.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Plan and perform scientific in vitro and in vivo experiments in an independent manner.
- Critically analyze data.
- Take a leading role in writing manuscripts.
- Present data at local, national and international scientific meetings.
- Supervise MSc and/or BSc students.
We are looking for a PhD candidate who has a strong ambition to succeed in science and is result-oriented. You should possess a critical scientific attitude and should be able to work both independently as well as in a team.
- MSc degree in Molecular Life Sciences or a related field.
- A solid theoretical background in molecular and cell biology.
- Hands-on experience with standard molecular techniques such as PCR, cloning, RT-PCR, western blotting, cell culture and stem cell technology.
- Experience with electrophysiology and/or molecular therapy is considered a strong plus.
- Strong communication skills (both orally and in writing) and a high English level.
ConditionsThe anticipated starting date is 15th of October 2021. Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. But there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At Radboud university medical center, you will be given trust, and you will take the responsibility to handle everything together. We provide annual courses, both professional and personal.
- In addition to your monthly salary and an annual vacation allowance of 8%, you will receive an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance.
- As a full-time employee (36 hours per week), you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.