Ongeveer 22 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD candidate Tuberculosis and Diabetes in Uganda & Tanzania
Research related to the combination of diabetes and tuberculosis in AfricaDiabetes increases susceptibility to TB, and worsens TB treatment outcome. More than …
- Geert Grooteplein Zuid, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
FunctieomschrijvingResearch related to the combination of diabetes and tuberculosis in Africa
Diabetes increases susceptibility to TB, and worsens TB treatment outcome. More than 400 million people worldwide have diabetes and this number is increasing, especially in countries where TB is endemic. Relatively little is known about the effects of diabetes on TB in Africa.
The 'PROTID' (prevention of tuberculosis in diabetes) consortium (led by Prof. Reinout van Crevel, professor of Global health and Infectious Diseases at Radboudumc) will examine prophylactic treatment of latent tuberculosis infection among people with diabetes in Uganda and Tanzania in a phase 3 RCT - the first to be performed globally. PROTID will also examine screening algorithms, address quality of care and perform epidemiological and health-economic modeling of the impact of DM on TB in Africa.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Clinical and public health research in TB and combined TB and diabetes.
- Working in a diverse and competitive international research group.
- Contribution to capacity strengthening of Ugandan and Tanzanian partners.
- (Bio)medical or relevant/comparable MSc degree.
- An international MSc degree in global health, epidemiology or statistics is desirable.
- Research or working experience in Africa or other tropical settings.
- Good social skills, fun to work with.
- Fluency in English writing and communication.
- Employment preferably starts January 2020.
- The salary depends on education. Scale 10 will be offered to MSc medical graduates; those holding degrees in other disciplines will be offered scale 10A.
Read more about the Radboudumc employment conditions and what our International Office can do for you when moving to the Netherlands.
Additional informationAll additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Reinout van Crevel, professor in Global Health and Infectious Diseases, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
Please apply before November 11, 2019.
Recruitment agencies are asked not to respond to this job posting.