Assistant Professor Development and support of Academic Learning Communities
The Assistant Professorship is a temporary position in the area of Educational Sciences with a specific focus on the development and support of Academic Learning Communities (ALCs). In 2015, the University of Groningen started a university-wide implementation of ALCs. As a result
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5656 - € 5656 per maand
The Assistant Professorship is a temporary position in the area of Educational Sciences with a specific focus on the development and support of Academic Learning Communities (ALCs). In 2015, the University of Groningen started a university-wide implementation of ALCs. As a result of the positive experiences in the past years, the ALCs will be embedded more intensively in the teaching at the Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences and in particular the Department of “Pedagogical and Educational Sciences”. The tasks will consist of the further development of the ALCs as a pedagogical format as well as the design and implementation of support for students and teachers; thus, a background in Educational Sciences and/or Development- and Educational Psychology is preferred. Initiative in teaching and research will be valued, as well as initiating and sustaining collaborations with practitioners.
The Assistant Professor is expected to be able to work in a team of teachers and researchers. In addition, he/she is also expected to work independently. The position will consist for 0.6 FTE of teaching activities and 0.4 FTE research activities. The emphasis of the teaching activities will be on the development and support of teachers and students with the ALC as a pedagogical format. In addition, the Assistant Professor will contribute to the various bachelor and master programmes (e.g. lectures, seminars, internships, theses, coordination tasks) with an emphasis on Educational Sciences and/or Developmental and Educational Psychology.
The research activities will be closely connected to the activities that are to be performed in the development and support activities for the ALC as a pedagogical format (for example research on “value creation” which approaches possible learning outcomes from a broader perspective as compared to traditional study progress indicators). The scientific research is expected to results in relevant and valorized output through (peer-reviewed) international and national publications, presentations at national and international conferences, etc.
We are looking for an ambitious Assistant Professor who preferably meets the following requirements:
• PhD degree in a relevant field of Behavioural and Social Sciences, preferably Educational Sciences, on a topic relevant for the position
• evidence of expertise in Developmental and Educational Psychology
• experience with the development and implementation of student and teacher support (for example via manuals, course design, workshops and trainings)
• experience in teaching and supervision of students (lectures, theses) and the willingness to further develop his/her didactical competences (i.e. acquire the Dutch University Teacher Qualification (UTQ)); holding the UTQ is preferred
• thorough knowledge of research designs and quantitative and qualitative research methods
• affinity with higher education and evidence of research on learning and instruction; in particular Academic Learning Communities, collaborative learning and/or learning networks (e.g., as part of the dissertation)
• publications in international peer-reviewed scientific journals
• good communicative skills and independence in research in a practice setting, in close collaboration with others
• good oral and written command of the English language suited for scientific publications and conference presentations
• the ability to communicate verbally and in written form in Dutch or to learn Dutch if necessary within the first 12 months of the contract.
ConditionsThe University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience. For candidates at the Assistant Professor level, the salary for a full-time position ranges from a minimum of € 3,637 (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) to a maximum of € 5,656 (salary scale 12) gross per month. We prefer an appointment of 1.0 FTE, but 0.8 FTE is possible. The gross salary is excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
Duration: 2 years and 5 months.
Starting date: 1 August 2019
You may apply for this position until 17 March 23:59h / before 18 March 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Please send your complete application (in English) as a single PDF file and upload your application as ‘letter of motivation’.
Applicants are requested to submit:
1. A cover letter in English introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research
2. A full CV in English demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable)
3. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record
4. Names and contact details of two academic references.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Additional informationProf. J.W. Strijbos, +31 50 3636631 (secr.),