Assistant Professor European Culture & Literature: Cognitive Focus (1.0 FTE)
You will prepare, oversee and teach new courses on European Culture and Literature with a focus on literary theory, and to conduct multidisciplinary work. You will produce research and supervise our undergraduate, graduate and PhD students. You will develop new ideas in research
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5656 - € 5656 per maand
You will prepare, oversee and teach new courses on European Culture and Literature with a focus on literary theory, and to conduct multidisciplinary work. You will produce research and supervise our undergraduate, graduate and PhD students. You will develop new ideas in research and education, and acquire funding (independently or jointly) for future research. You will work with other colleagues within the programme of European Languages and Cultures as well as of Arts, Culture and Media. You will collaborate with other departments in the faculty (also in the framework of externally funded projects) and with international guests-researchers. We cover many areas of Modern European Literary Studies, Cultural Studies, and Political Sciences.
We offer you a position with 60% of your time for teaching (including administration) and 40% research.
• you have a PhD in Literary Studies, Literature, and Culture
• you combine knowledge of Literary Theory and Cultural Studies with Cognitive focus
• you have the ability to communicate, teach and publish in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking), Spanish/and or French.
• you have teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications (such as BKO-Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, Basic Education qualification)
• you have experience in making new courses at the university level with an emphasis on peer instruction
• you are an excellent researcher, as evidenced by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals
• you like to work both independently and in a (virtual) multidisciplinary team and producing high quality works.
• your strengths are organizing, entrepreneurship and communication, meeting deadlines
• you are keen to pursue research funding grants
• knowledge of Dutch or willingness to learn it within a reasonable period of time may be one of the conditions for tenure (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking) within two years.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,637 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
- a fulltime position (1.0 FTE)
- 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
- 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time employment.
- an appointment initially on a temporary basis for 5 years that will become a permanent position following a positive ‘Results and Development’ assessment. The assessment for which is possible from the second year of your appointment.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointee will ideally commence as soon as possible.
How can you send in your reaction?
You may apply for this position until 30 May 11:59pm / before 31 May 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You can fill in the form and upload 4 PDF files (all in English):
1. A letter of motivation
2. A CV with a list of five self-selected “best papers”; the complete list of publications and the names and contact details of three referees
3. A brief description of scientific interests and plans; a statement about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total). You can upload this under” extra document” on the website
4. An appropriate writing sample, you can upload this document also.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The selection interviews will take place in June.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Additional informationProf. Pablo Valdivia Martin