Assistant Professor in New Testament and Christian Origins (1.0 FTE)
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Groningen, seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor (UD) in the field of New Testament and Christian Origins (1.0 FTE), on a temporary basis due to replacement. The position will involve 50% teaching, 40% research, and 1
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5656 - € 5656 per maand
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Groningen, seeks to appoint an Assistant Professor (UD) in the field of New Testament and Christian Origins (1.0 FTE), on a temporary basis due to replacement. The position will involve 50% teaching, 40% research, and 10% administration. The position will be located within the Department of Jewish, Christian and Islamic Origins. The historical orientation of the Department of Jewish, Christian, and Islamic Origins, in which the position is located, means that we investigate all detectable currents in the formative periods of these traditions, not only those that would later become normative. The candidate will contribute to the teaching programme (BA, MA, and Research Master's level) and do research in the field of New Testament and Christian Origins.
The successful candidate is expected to do research, and to supervise undergraduate, graduate and PhD students in the field of New Testament and Early Christianity. (S)he is expected to develop new ideas in research, and to acquire external funding (independently or jointly with other colleagues) for future research. (S)he is expected to develop a conceptually consistent research programme that complements the research of the Department of Jewish, Christian and Islamic Origins.
With regard to teaching, the appointee will contribute to the curriculum of Theology and Religious Studies on different levels (BA, MA, ReMa) according to her/his expertise and research focus. (S)he will maintain the high standards of teaching excellence that have made ours the top-ranked undergraduate programmes in Theology and in Religious Studies in the Netherlands.
With regard to community, the successful candidate should be a team player who contributes to the Department through research collaboration and through active participation in joint educational and administrative activities. Furthermore, (s)he will be encouraged to develop socially relevant research in keeping with the Faculty’s Centres/Research Institutes (https://www.rug.nl/research/centre-for-religious-studies/research-institutes/).
What we ask:
• a PhD degree in New Testament and Early Christianity or related discipline
• experience and proven success in teaching in a variety of class types and sizes
• an exemplary research record demonstrated by publications in international top journals and/or in peer-reviewed books
• ability to acquire external funding (public or private) for research projects
• a well-founded and motivated application with an innovative and integrative research plan for the coming five years and a challenging outlook for the future, taking into account the international research landscape in your field
• significant international experience and evidence of international recognition
• evidence of organizational qualities, communication skills and entrepreneurship
• a team player and skills at working in a multidisciplinary team
• fluency in the English language, in written and spoken form
• the University of Groningen requires teaching staff to attain the University Teaching Qualification; a successful applicant lacking this qualification (or equivalent) is expected to obtain it within two years, by attending courses at the University
• willingness to learn the Dutch language, with the aim of reaching European standard B2 within three years so that you are able to communicate with faculty, staff, and students in Dutch
• willingness to take up residence in or near the city of Groningen.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,637 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,656 gross per month (scale 12) with a full-time appointment
• a holiday allowance and year-end bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• maternity and parental leave
• a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• an appointment on a temporary basis for 5 years
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
Starting date: 1 September 2020
Additional informationProf. Roig Lanzillotta, Head of the Department of Jewish, Christian and Islamic Origins