1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
PhD position in Sociology (1.0 FTE)
The main aim of the project is to study with agent-based computer modelling and empirical data from ethnically diverse classrooms the conditions and processes through which mutually reinforcing negative attitudes about ethnic outgroup can emerge. A further aim is to propose schoo
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2325 per maand
The main aim of the project is to study with agent-based computer modelling and empirical data from ethnically diverse classrooms the conditions and processes through which mutually reinforcing negative attitudes about ethnic outgroup can emerge. A further aim is to propose school policies based on insights from this research that could help to prevent such vicious cycles.
The PhD project is fully funded for a period of four years. The core tasks of the PhD project include 1) analysis of existing datasets of the co-evolution of social networks and interethnic attitudes in multi-ethnic classrooms using the software RSIENA, 2) testing with this data assumptions of theoretical simulation models of opinion polarization, 3) use of the results of these empirical tests to improve existing computational models of the dynamics of intergroup attitudes in multi-ethnic classrooms, and 4) test results of such new models against the available empirical data.
You will be supported by a programmer and be supervised by internationally recognized experts in the fields of agent-based computational modelling of opinion polarization (Flache, Maes), statistical modelling and simulation of longitudinal social network data (Steglich) and interethnic relations (Flache, Otten). Professors Flache (Sociology) and Otten (Social Psychology) will be the promotors of the dissertation project, Dr. Maes and Dr. Steglich are to be co-promotors.
The PhD position also involves teaching tasks in the bachelor programme of the Department of Sociology.
- master degree in Sociology or Computational Social Science or closely related discipline, preferably with excellent qualifications
- strong motivation, training and skills in quantitative social science research, especially with interest and preferably experience and good skills in at least one of the areas of agent-based computer simulation or statistical modelling of longitudinal social network data (SAOM, RSIENA)
- strong interest and background in theory-guided quantitative social-science research, preferably in at least one of the areas of intergroup relations, opinion dynamics, ethnic diversity or social networks
- excellent writing and presentation skills in English, good Dutch language skills or willingness to learn Dutch
- good communicative skills, motivation and ability to operate as team player at the levels of the research group, the department and the ICS
- motivation and ability to teach in undergraduate sociology courses.
ConditionsWe offer you in according with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2,325 (salary scale PhD) gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the final year, based on a full-time position
- an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus
The position requires residence in Groningen and must result in a PhD thesis within the 4-year contract period. The successful candidate will be offered a temporary position of four years with an evaluation moment at the end of the first year. The prolongation of the contract after this first year is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the next three years is to be expected.
A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of Behavioural and Social Sciences.
In addition to the PhD position, part of the contract entails implementing teaching tasks in the Sociology bachelor programme.
Additional informationProf. Andreas Flache
Secretariat of Sociology