2 dagen geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PhD positions Linguistics, Graduate School for the Humanities (1.8 FTE)
The successful applicant is committed to conducting independent and original scientific research, to report on this research in international publications and presentations, and to present the final results of the research in a PhD dissertation. The PhD candidate participates in
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 34 - 34 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
The successful applicant is committed to conducting independent and original scientific research, to report on this research in international publications and presentations, and to present the final results of the research in a PhD dissertation. The PhD candidate participates in local, national and international training activities, including summer schools and conferences, to maximally develop his or her potential as a scientific researcher. Some participation in faculty teaching is negotiable.
As a member of the Graduate School for the Humanities, a PhD candidate may participate in courses, seminars and summer schools organized by Dutch national graduate school Landelijke Onderzoeksschool Taalkunde (LOT) or by the Groningen Research School of Behavioural and Cognitive Neurosciences (BCN).
Linguistic research in the Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen is organized in the Center for Language and Cognition Groningen (CLCG), which includes 4 research lines:
• Computational Linguistics
• Discourse and Communication
• Neurolinguistics and Language Development
• Theoretical and Empirical Linguistics.
The proposed PhD research must be closely connected with research currently carried out within one of these research lines. Please consult the CLCG web pages for a description of the research groups and their work: http://www.rug.nl/research/clcg/ Applicants are advised to contact potential supervisors of CLCG in order to ensure the proposed research is well embedded.
Your qualifications are:
• a Master's degree in linguistics (or related discipline) with an excellent academic record
• proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
• excellent command of English and good academic writing skills.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2,325 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the final year (based on fulltime employment. These PhD positions are 0.9 FTE, for 4 years). The position requires residence in Groningen, and must yield a PhD dissertation
- initially an appointment for 18 months. After the first year, an assessment of the candidate's progress and results will take place to decide whether the employment can be continued.
You will be enrolled in the Graduate School for the Humanities (GSH) of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Groningen. The GSH offers the organizational infrastructure within which PhD candidates participate in advanced training and supervised research: http://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-humanities/
Start date: 1 September 2019, in principle.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
1. A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research, and locating your research within one of the research groups
2. A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of your passport
3. A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record
4. A research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (1500 words, tables and references excluded). See the guidelines in the following website: https://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-humanities/phd-programme/phd-admission/format-for-phd-applications
5. Names and contact details of two academic references.
You can submit your entire application (in English) as a single PDF-file until 26 May 11.59pm / before 27 May 2019 Dutch local time (CET), by means of the application form (click on 'Apply' below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as "CV" and include the vacancy number at the start of your application.
Interviews with selected candidates will take place in the second half of June, beginning of July 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Additional informationProf. C.J.W. Zwart (questions regarding the Graduate School for the Humanities)