PhD Candidate for the Project “Moving Animals: A History of Science, Media and Policy in the Twentieth Century””
Ongeveer 5 uur geleden - Universiteit Maastricht - Maastricht
The Faculty of Science and Engineering has a vacancy in Topological Data Analysis and Data Science at the level of tenure track assistant, associate or full professor. We are looking for a researcher in Mathematics or Computer Science who will work at the interface between the ma
The Faculty of Science and Engineering has a vacancy in Topological Data Analysis and Data Science at the level of tenure track assistant, associate or full professor. We are looking for a researcher in Mathematics or Computer Science who will work at the interface between the mathematics of data analysis (in particular, Topological Data Analysis) and Data Science. Recent advances in computational topology have made it possible to compute topological invariants from data with the aim to reconstruct computationally the topological features of some low-dimensional set, only observed via a high-dimensional noisy point cloud. This relates to well-known approaches in Data Science, including clustering, feature extraction, manifold learning, nonlinear dimension reduction, information geometry, and distinguishing (topological) signal from (topological) noise. The position will be embedded in one of the existing Mathematics or Computer Science research units of the Bernoulli Institute, with strong collaborations with materials science and artificial intelligence.
The position will play a crucial role within the Center “Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials” (CogniGron). This is a unique research center, where researchers from materials science, physics, chemistry, mathematics, computer science and artificial intelligence work together to create self-learning materials that will perform the tasks that are now assigned to thousands of transistors and complex algorithms. We offer a challenging position in a unique world-class research environment, in which close collaborations between research groups with different expertise are encouraged.
We will support the candidate with an attractive start-up package and access to local state-of-the-art facilities, which are constantly being improved to strengthen our program.
Once appointed, you are expected to be a full-time, independent group leader.
We are recruiting at the level of Assistant (tenure track), Associate (tenure) or Full Professor, depending on your profile.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree with at least two years of postdoctoral experience abroad (industrial experience can partially compensate for this requirement)
• excellent research qualities, as evidenced by a publication record in (inter)national peer-reviewed journals and/or in peer-reviewed books and renowned conferences
• proof of independence and international recognition
• successes in acquiring external funding for research projects
• a well-founded and motivated application with an innovative research plan that matches the mission of the Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials Center (see www.rug.nl/fse/cognigron).
And if you are:
• a great team player with organizational qualities and good interpersonal skills
• fluent in English
• a good teacher and willing to fulfill the requirements for the University Teaching Qualifications
• willing to learn the Dutch language.