1 dag geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
2 PhD positions: Measuring of Atmospheric Corrosion
Two PhD candidate positions are available in the Corrosion Technology and Electrochemistry group of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Two PhD candidate positions are available in the Corrosion Technology and Electrochemistry group of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (http://www.mse.tudelft.nl) of TU Delft. The PhD candidates will work in the framework of a national project, ThinCorr, in which TU Delft (The Netherlands), Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium), Tata Steel Europe (The Netherlands), SKF (The Netherlands) and ArcelorMittal Global (Belgium) are the participants forming the consortium.
The understanding and capability to predict corrosion under atmospheric conditions are currently quite limited due to the experimental limitations and the lack of theoretical models that consider the actual electrochemistry and the presence of variable electrolyte layer thicknesses on the complex metal surface structure.
The aim of the ThinCorr project is to achieve an in-depth understanding of atmospheric corrosion processes and a reliable prediction thereof. The project will deliver improved experimental setups to measure corrosion and models using finite electrolyte layers to study and describe the corrosion mechanism of steel alloys under thin-film electrolytes representing atmospheric conditions and during accelerated corrosion tests. The accurate and representative corrosion testing and modelling will enable industrial end-users to efficiently steer and improve their material development and selection programs.
The two PhD candidate positions (1 & 2) will focus on the experimental part of the project. Their work will be closely complemented by a post-doc researcher at Vrije Universiteit Brussels, focusing on the modelling of the atmospheric corrosion mechanism.
In position 1, the PhD candidate will focus on the investigation of the atmospheric corrosion mechanism on steel alloys under controlled thin electrolyte films. In this part, the following tasks will be tackled:
- design of electrochemical set-up that allows measurement under dynamic electrolyte thickness
- implementation of non-invasive sensors to elucidate the chemical changes at the metal-electrolyte interface during the corrosion
- electrochemical and surface characterisation of the steel alloys under thin-film electrolyte conditions, in order to elucidate the corrosion mechanism.
In position 2, the PhD candidate will focus on monitoring the corrosion activity of steel alloys and environmental conditions during the accelerated corrosion test.
- design and implantation of non-invasive chemical and electrochemical sensors in order to monitor the process inside the accelerated chamber
- elucidate the corrosion mechanism of the alloys under these tests
- validation of the results by already existing technology.
We are searching for two enthusiastic PhD candidates with the following qualifications:
- have an MSc in a relevant field, such as corrosion science, electrochemistry and/or materials science
- have proven experience with corrosion and/or electrochemistry
- critical and creative approach to the research is essential. An “academic attitude” is required: excellent analytical and experimental skills, perseverance taking initiative, curiosity and critical thinking about the research approach and about the results.
- Have excellent communication skills, and want to work in an international, multidisciplinary and academic-industrial team
- Communication skills must include excellent spoken and written English.
TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the TU Delft Graduate School. TU Delft Graduate School provides an inspiring research environment; an excellent team of supervisors, academic staff and a mentor; and a Doctoral Education Programme aimed at developing your transferable, discipline-related and research skills. Please visit www.tudelft.nl/phd for more information.
TU Delft creates equal opportunities and encourages women to apply.
To apply, please send e-mail by 31 July 2019 to Hilma Bleeker, HR advisor, email: application-3mE@tudelft.nl. When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number 3mE19-54, and if you have a preference for position 1 or 2.
Include in this email the following documents:
- a motivation or application letter
- detailed CV
- full details of two references
- copy of your Bsc and Msc transcripts.
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Yaiza Gonzalez Garcia, e-mail: email@example.com.