2 dagen geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Assistant/Associate Professor in Optimal Control of Thermofluids Networks
The Delft Center for Systems and Control (DCSC) is aiming to strengthen, expand, and renew its international competences through new strategic recruitments …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 6738 per maand
The Delft Center for Systems and Control (DCSC) is aiming to strengthen, expand, and renew its international competences through new strategic recruitments sponsored by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science. We are looking for excellent candidates with a proven track record of ground breaking scientific research, a challenging and innovative research program, and a commitment to higher education. As part of this initiative, we are offering either a tenure-track assistant professor position for a period of 6 years, leading to a permanent position assuming excellent performance, or – depending on the current position, background, and expertise of the candidate – a tenured associate professor position.
This new position is intended to bridge the fields of control systems and thermofluids fundamentals by complementing existing research efforts at the department, and serving as a research liaison with the Process and Energy Department of the Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering. Potential application areas include (but are not limited to) heat networks. The matching between (intermittent) heat sources with different temperature levels and consumers will play an important role in the energy transition. This is a complex optimization problem that requires novel control approaches incorporating the underlying turbulent fluid flow and related nonlinear heat transfer processes.
Preferred expertise includes (but is not limited to) the following topics:
- Model reduction, optimization, control, and monitoring of nonlinear distributed parameter systems
- Stabilization, delay compensation, and control of infinite-dimensional systems modelled by coupled/networked PDEs
- Real-time optimization by extremum seeking control
- Fluid/thermal flow dynamics, instabilities, fluid networks, magneto-hydrodynamics
- Applications of novel approaches in control/modeling of turbulent fluid flow and heat transfer, topology design and optimal control of heat networks, multiscale process systems.
The successful candidate will be part of the Networked Cyber-Physical Systems section at DCSC, whose research efforts are aimed at improving our understanding and control of cyber-physical systems composed of a large number of interconnected and embedded components. Such networks of systems contain a huge number of sensors and actuators that generate a tremendous amount of data to be processed in real-time in order to increase the autonomy of the participating entities, or accomplish a high level of automation.
The successful candidate has the following qualifications:
- An Ph.D. degree in systems and control, applied mathematics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or a related field.
- Fundamental knowledge of control systems theory and/or system identification.
- The capacity to communicate effectively with peers, students and stakeholders in the application field
- An excellent track record in scientific publications, acquisition and management of externally funded research projects, and a clear view on required future developments, aiming at a high degree of sustainability in the application field, and have experience as a post-doctoral researcher.
- Fluency in English and the willingness to learn Dutch within three years.
- An open personality and good communication skills in written and spoken English.
A tenure-track position is offered for six years. Based on performance indicators agreed upon at the start of the appointment, a decision will be made by the fifth year whether to offer you a permanent faculty position. For more information about the tenure track and the personal development programme, please visit http://www.tudelft.nl/tenuretrack.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An on-campus International Children’s Centre offers international programs at childcare and primary school levels. TU Delft Dual Career Services can provide support to accompanying partners wishing to pursue their professional activity.
Salary - ranging from 3.637 to 5.656 for Assistant Professor and from 5.039 to 6.738 for Associate Professor gross a month (full time based) - and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. TU Delft offers training to improve English competency. Inspiring, excellent education is one of our central aims. If you have less than five years of experience and do not yet have your teaching certificate, we allow you up to three years to obtain this.
TU Delft creates equal opportunities and encourages women to apply.
For more information about this position, please contact prof. Tamas Keviczky, email@example.com.
To apply, please submit the following:
- a detailed curriculum vitae that explicitly states your educational record, recent major achievements, list of publications,
- a separate motivation letter stating why the proposed research topic interests you,
- a vision on research and education, and
- names and contact information of three persons who could be contacted for a reference, and any other information that might be relevant to your application.
Please e-mail your application by 31st of August 2019 to Irina Bruckner, application-3mE@tudelft.nl.
When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number 3mE19-43.