Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
Assistant professor Ports and Waterways
The TU Delft is a world leader in the field of hydraulic engineering. We are looking for an enthusiastic Assistant Professor starting September 2018 in the …
- Stevinweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 4757 per maand
The TU Delft is a world leader in the field of hydraulic engineering. We are looking for an enthusiastic Assistant Professor starting September 2018 in the department Hydraulic Engineering (research group: Ports and Waterways (P&W).
P&W is one of the specialisations within the track Hydraulic Engineering (Master Civil Engineering). The multi-disciplinary specialisation focusses on integrated planning and design of ports, terminals, and inland waterways, wherein operational, logistic, economic, environmental, safety and hydraulic aspects are addressed. P&W is closely linked to other specialisations within the track and aspires to keep its research lines and education activities updated to be at the forefront of new trends and developments. Nautical traffic models and simulations play an increasingly important role in the planning of ports and waterways, more so due to the current trend towards digitalization and availbility of big data.
- Education: Organizing and contributing to the courses in P&W through lectures, updating of lecture notes and course material, assisting with incorporation of modern teaching techniques in P&W courses, and co-supervising BSc and MSc students.
- Research: initiating, and conducting research in the above mentioned fields; setting up and developing your own line of research. Research is fundamental and application inspired; the latter will be defined in consultation with end users such as Port Authorities, Industry and Ministries.
- Valorization: The candidate is expected to work towards acquisition of funding for projects through cooperation with the private sector, government and/or EU or Dutch national projects and research grants.
- Organization: A small portion of the positions’ responsibilities is devoted to management activities in the department or faculty, e.g. participation in department and faculty committees.
The candidate holds PhD degree in civil engineering or related area, is an experienced researcher, has published in scientific journals, and has worked on application inspired projects in the relevant field for government and/or private sector. The candidate has a clear (demonstrable) affinity with education and applied research within the Ports and Waterways research field. He/She can generate enthusiasm among students. The candidate has followed educational training or is willing to do so. He/She has has a good network that is relevant for the department in e.g. academia, govrnment and/or private sector.
Essential (demonstrable) qualifications:
- has a track record as a data scientist with proven data and analytic skills;
- is able to creatively access, combine, and process data from various (public) sources;
- is proficient in various programming languages and database types and has an open source mindset;
- is able to work with, and adapt open source software for application in above research areas;
- has experience with physical process modelling (hydrodynamics, sediment dynamics, forces on vessels, etc.) and advanced computing methods;
- has affinity with using data and models in a problem solving context while taking into account psychological and sociological aspects to promote acceptance;
- is able and willing to work with other disciplines, within TUDelft but also with external partners;
- is able to communicate effectively in English and Dutch (or is wiling to learn Dutch);
- is able to publish research finding (in popular media as well as highly esteemed international journals).
At the start of the tenure-track you will be appointed as Assistant Professor for the duration of six years. Section leader, department leaders and you will agree upon expected performance and (soft) skills. You will receive formal feedback on performance and skills during annual assessment meetings and the mid-term evaluation. If the performance and skills are evaluated positively at the end of the tenure track, you will be appointed in a permanent Assistant Professor position.
TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. TU Delft offers training to improve English competency.
Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. If you have less than five years of experience and do not yet have your teaching certificate, we allow you up to three years to obtain this.
For more information about this position, please contact prof.dr.ir. W.S.J. Uijttewaal, e-mail: W.S.J.Uijttewaal@tudelft.nl.
To apply, please send a letter of application along with a curriculum vitae and a vision statement on your research and teaching (max. 3 pages), as well as a list of publications, link to or electronic copies of three key publications, and the names of at least three references mentioning your relation to them. Please e-mail all your application information in one single PDF entitled Lastname_ CITG18-25.pdf before 25 June 2018 to Recruitment-CiTG@tudelft.nl.