Faculty positions Micro and Nano Manufacturing and Engineering
The Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering (PME) at Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) is opening two tenure track assistant professor …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 9812 per maand
The Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering (PME) at Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) is opening two tenure track assistant professor positions (f/m), to complement, extend and strengthen the Department’s competence in the field of manufacturing of micro and nano-enabled devices and systems.
Manufacturing is at the core of industrial activity and societal welfare. Manufacturing has matured for many domains, e.g. for the mechanical engineering or the semiconductor industry, where repeatable production of goods is everyday’ s practice. At the (very) small length scale, the situation is different. New generations of hybrid materials and devices are emerging, where small-scale effects are exploited for novel products and functions. Examples are high-sensitivity and small-footprint sensor systems based on nanomaterials (particles, rods/tubes, graphene), surface-embedded nanotopography-based functions (controlled wetting, optical interactions), and 3D hierarchical materials (mechanical metamaterials, smart scaffolds for cell and tissue science and engineering). These new opportunities are mainly explored in research laboratories, with a focus on studying phenomena on the basis of carefully designed and built research samples. To create impact in society and industry, the field needs to make the transition to applications and repeatable manufacturing. This will require a new engineering and manufacturing knowledge and technology foundation. The development of this foundation needs to take place in a context which links innovative, micro/nano-enabled functions or properties for current and future applications to potentially scalable and hybrid nanomanufacturing.
Within this context, the Department offers the current open positions. The Department has a strong basis in (numerical) design methods, modelling, dynamics, micro and nano technology, and operates in the precision engineering high-tech precision engineering and health domain. The offered positions are defined with a broad scope, we seek complementarity and reinforcement of the current team. We expect successful candidates to establish a research program linking micro/nano manufacturing and engineering to breakthrough applications in e.g. industry and healthcare. An increasingly important aspect is sustainability. This may be focused on the manufacturing process itself, or on the manufacturing of devices in material systems that are intrinsically sustainable, e.g. manufacture of sensor devices or implants in eco-friendly or bio-degradable materials for agri/food.
Successful candidates will lead research and education activities in one or more of the following or related themes:
- Processes for material removal, addition, or modification at the (very) small scale, for example (but not restricted to) 3D micro/nano printing of multi-material structures, laser-based processes, or nano-object assembly/arrangement.
- The development of innovative machine and tool concepts to advance nano-scale manufacturing processes
- Creating a breakthrough for nano-enabled functionalities and systems, e.g. in sensing, smart materials, or healthcare supporting devices
- Sustainable nanomanufacturing, manufacturing of nano-scale functionality in sustainable materials.
Applicants should have the following qualifications::
- PhD degree and expertise in a field relevant for the position
- Collaborative attitude, eager to learn and improve
- Excellent researcher, as evidenced by appropriate track record
- Passion for teaching and interactive knowledge transfer
- Good international network, linking science to application
- Proficient in English.
- Collaborative atmosphere in our department with broad expertise range
- Independence and support for own research line
- Very well equipped lab with professional lab technicians
- Professional and personal development programs.
Conditions of employment
TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners and a relocation compensation.
Salary (ranges from 3.637 to 5.656 for Assistant Professor, from 5.039 to 6.738 for Associate Professor, and from 5.582 to 9.812 for Full Professor gross a month (full time based)) and the benefits of 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus on top of nominal salary and a minimum of 30 holidays per year, are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
TU Delft creates equal opportunities and encourages women to apply.
For information about this vacancy, you can contact Dr. Marcel Tichem, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +31(0)15-278 1603. For information about the selection procedure, please contact Irina Bruckner, HR advisor, email: email@example.com.