Full professor "Heat transformation technology"
Heat transport and transformations are important in an industrial setting for the efficient use of low temperature and waste heat, e.g. heat with temperatures …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5582 - € 9812 per maand
Heat transport and transformations are important in an industrial setting for the efficient use of low temperature and waste heat, e.g. heat with temperatures lower than 90 degree Celsius. Low temperature heat is for instance available from geothermal sources and waste heat as a by-product of chemical and industrial processes. Besides the use of low temperature heat for industrial applications, domestic applications are becoming increasingly important. The use and implementation of new efficient technologies for long range transport based on evaporation and condensation of the working fluid and the use of heat-pumps for cooling/heating have a huge potential for energy savings and reducing CO2 emissions.
The new chair will focus on the development of new technologies for large scale transformation, transport, and storage of heat, including heat pump and refrigeration concepts. The main scientific challenge is to develop new concepts for heat transport, such as heat pipe concepts, latent heat storage and the transformation (upgrading) of heat from low to high temperatures. The use of non-equilibrium thermodynamics is important for calculating the entropy production. Minimizing the entropy production is required to design optimal heat transfer equipment with the highest energy efficiency. Selection of the optimal working fluid is not trivial, and new approaches (e.g. based on machine learning) may need to be developed for this. It is expected that the new chair will focus on a few of the following topics:
(1) development new methods and equipment for transformation of heat to different temperature levels, e.g. new concepts for pumps/refrigeration machines
(2) development method for analyzing (and consequently minimizing) the entropy production of heat transformation equipment due to irreversibilities
(3) development of new and efficient heat transport technologies, for instance via phase transitions
(4) development of models, simulations, and experimental facilities to enable validation of the theoretical and or numerical findings
(5) application of concepts of machine learning in the design of new heat transfer equipment
(6) contributions to relevant fundamental disciplines such as thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics and material science.
From the new chair it is expected that he/she plays an active role in the Bachelor and Master education within the mechanical engineering (3mE) faculty of the TU Delft. The chair will play a key role in the master program on Energy, Flow and Process technology (EFP) where courses on these topics are at the core of this master program. In addition, the chair is expected to contribute to graduate level courses and professional education in national and international networks.
The successful candidate:
(1) holds a PhD degree with a background in mechanical or chemical engineering;
(2) has proven experience as an independent and productive researcher, demonstrated by publications in refereed scientific journals in relevant areas
(3) has proven research experience and/or demonstrable affinity with heat transformation technology such as heat pumps/refrigeration concepts
(4) has a multidisciplinary research attitude and a firm track record in multidisciplinary research collaboration
(5) has demonstrable experience in initiating, leading and managing research programs
(6) has proven educational experience at different levels and has demonstrated to inspire undergraduate students, graduate students and professionals alike.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice can support with advice for you and your accompanying partner about your individual settling needs in the Netherlands. Once arrived you can be supported with individual consults and diverse workshops. Located on Campus are the International Children’s Centre and an international primary school which are subject to availability as well as several bilingual schools in the nearby surrounding. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
The TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. The TU Delft offers training to improve English competency.
Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. If you have less than five years of teaching experience and do not yet have your teaching certificate, you get the chance to obtain this within three years.
For information about this vacancy and the selection procedure, you can contact Prof. Bendiks-Jan Boersma, Chairman of P&E and Full professor Energy Technology, email@example.com. To apply, please submit (1) a letter stating your motivation, (2) a curriculum vitae (including full list of publications, and indicate 5 key publications), (3) a printout of your google-scholar profile, (4) a vision document on research, education and valorisation (max. 10 pages in total), and (5) names and contact details of 5 references. These documents must be combined into a single pdf file with a size not exceeding 5Mb. Please send this file to Prof.Dr.Ir. Thijs J.H. Vlugt, application-3mE@tudelft.nl.
Applications not meeting these requirements may be not considered further.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature