Full Professor Thermo- and Hydrodynamics for CO2 Capture and Conversion
Decarbonisation of the power and industry sectors is an urgent societal challenge and can be partially achieved by extensive electrification, based on …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 38 uur
Decarbonisation of the power and industry sectors is an urgent societal challenge and can be partially achieved by extensive electrification, based on renewable energy sources and CO2 utilisation. Power-to-hydrocarbon technologies have the potential to replace fossil resources for the chemical industry and provide large scale energy storage. Much of the science on the sourcing of CO2 has been on improving capture units for capturing CO2 from point sources, with relatively high CO2 concentrations (>10%). Capturing CO2 from air (Direct Air Capture) and (sea)water with low CO2 concentrations may become the CO2 source for the future. Developing cost-effective CO2 capture units requires a deep scientific understanding of multiphase fluid flows and thermodynamic phenomena in capture and conversion units, and its absorption and desorption mechanisms. The design, operation and upscaling of the ensuing (currently lab size) units also requires fundamental research into complex multiphase, charged, fluid flows through CO2 conversion units, and into separation processes, under intermittent, transient conditions.
The new full professor will focus on any of the scientific challenges in the broad field of CO2 capture with an outlook of integrating CO2 capture with CO2 conversion processes. This can concern the development of advanced CO2 capture processes from air or water, the development of multi-phase flow reactors, separation concepts, integration with electrochemical conversion, and/or aspects related to design, operation and control of capture units. In our pursuit of integrating CO2 capture and conversion processes, the new full professor must have an open mind to expanding her/his work field over the course of the first few years, to address both capture and conversion. The candidate will:
- Study and improve effects of geometry/configuration, apply advanced thermofluids engineering and develop a scaling-up (and/or scaling out) approach for CO2 capture reactors.
- Develop solutions for dealing with process fluctuations, pulsed reactions and the increased effects of fouling resulting from transient operation and intensification of capture and -conversion systems.
- Perform fundamental research on flow/kinetic/thermodynamic/electrochemic phenomena relevant for the design, operation, and control of CO2 capture and conversion units.
- Contribute to the development of courses and educational programmes at BSc and MSc level.
The professorship will be positioned in the Process & Energy department of the faculty of Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering. The P&E department aims to enable the energy transition by educating future (mechanical) engineers and by developing novel processes and equipment for the production and consumption of synthetic fuels, chemicals and materials. The department is investing heavily in the field of synthetic fuels and this position is one of the key investments in boosting this field further. The P&E department plays a key rol in the e-Refinery institute of TU Delft, a cross-department institute for research into sustainable production of chemical and fuels. This professorship will play a key role in the e-Refinery institute, in connecting the P&E department to the institute, and will interact with internal and external stakeholders of the e-Refinery institute.
The candidate will make use of the existing laboratories of the P&E department, and will share the experimental infrastructure with the other groups of P&E.
The successful candidate:
- holds a PhD degree in mechanical (energy) engineering, chemical engineering or a similar degree;
- has proven experience as an independent and productive researcher, demonstrable on the basis of papers in refereed scientific journals in the relevant research area;
- has proven research experience and/or demonstrable affinity with CO2 capture or conversion processes;
- has proven experience in acquiring research funding;
- has a multidisciplinary research attitude and a track record in multidisciplinary research collaboration;
- has demonstrable experience in initiating, leading and managing large research programs;
- is able to communicate research results to the professional community as well as to the general and laymen public;
- is an excellent teacher who inspires undergraduate students, graduate students and professionals alike, and has experience in supervising PhD research projects;
- has ample contacts in relevant circles of public policy makers and private business leaders.
- is able to uphold and expand the industrial network in close collaboration with colleagues and industry.
The TU Delft is an equal opportunity employer, and therefore we strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice can support with advice for you and your accompanying partner about your individual settling needs in the Netherlands. Once arrived you can be supported with individual consults and diverse workshops. Located on Campus are the International Children’s Centre and an international primary school which are subject to availability as well as several bilingual schools in the nearby surrounding. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (salary indication: €5.749-€10.106 per month).
The TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. The TU Delft offers training to improve English competency.
Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. If you have less than five years of teaching experience and do not yet have your teaching certificate, you get the chance to obtain this within three years.
For information about this vacancy and the selection procedure, you can contact Prof. Bendiks Jan Boersma email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +31 15 2787979.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature