Ongeveer 11 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) Engineer
Our research is focused on the development of new hybrid semiconductor-superconductor platforms to enable the application of Majorana bound states for …
- Lorentzweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2514 - € 4166 per maand
Our research is focused on the development of new hybrid semiconductor-superconductor platforms to enable the application of Majorana bound states for topological quantum computing.
Material science and fabrication are the foundation and the enablers of qubit devices. We deal with complex stacks of different materials combined at the nanoscale and require state-of-the art metrology and in-depth morphological, structural and compositional analysis. Fabrication of qubit devices is a challenging, multi-step process pushing the boundaries of nanotechnology and nano-patterning techniques. You can play a key role in the development of our ground-breaking approach to quantum computing by helping to realize quantum devices with quality and control well beyond the current state of the art.
We are seeking a molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) engineer to support the research and development of advanced semiconductor materials for topological quantum computing. Within a team of materials scientists and engineers you will be responsible for leading the development of robust, manufacturable growth processes for advanced hybrid III-V/superconducting nanomaterials. Tasks will include calibration, optimization of growth conditions of III-V materials, dielectrics, metals as well as participation in advanced hardware development and maintenance. Other responsibilities will include performing and analysing standard growth-associated morphological, structural and eventually electrical characterization of samples. As an MBE engineer you will have or develop professional abilities in database creation and maintenance to log growth/associated characterization data and work with researchers to streamline the growth processes and methods.
Primary job responsibilities would include:
- Semiconductor physics and nanoscale morphological/structural and compositional characterization techniques;
- Operation and maintenance of a multi-chamber molecular beam epitaxy growth cluster system.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, physics, materials science, or related field plus 2-3 years relevant work experience, or Master’s degree plus 1-2 years relevant work experience;
- Practical working experience in handling and maintenance of ultra-high vacuum (UHV) components is necessary;
- Practical working experience with Molecular Beam Epitaxy;
- Practical working experience with standard characterization techniques such as RHEED, AFM, XRD, SEM, Hall/Van der Pauw;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Strong team mentality and enthusiasm to work in a diverse, international group;
- Experience with database and automation on a UHV tool is a plus.
This is a full-time position for 38 working hours per week (1 FTE). The position is offered for one year initially with the prospect of extension based on good performance. The salary is based on scale 8-10 (dependent on knowledge and experience) with a maximum of € 4166,- gross per month on a fulltime basis. TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers child care and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Leo Kouwenhoven, e-mail: L.P.Kouwenhoven@tudelft.nl. To apply, please e-mail your CV, a list of publications, and the names and e-mail addresses of at least three references along with a letter of motivation addressed to Prof. dr. ir. Leo Kouwenhoven. Please e-mail the requested information to email@example.com. Please refer to vacancy number QuT18-057 in your application.
Screening of the applications will begin on July 15, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated starting date is as soon as possible.