The BRIDGE project is about privacy aspects of databases, looked at in different ways.
PDEng Position: Subsurface Iron Removal
Cost-effective technology for water purification in cooperation with Vitens
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 1828 per maand
Groundwater is our main source of drinking water. Abstracted groundwater often contains iron, manganese, and ammonia. These constituents are generally removed by a treatment method involving aeration and subsequent Rapid Sand Filtration (RSF). In addition to these above-ground technologies, Subsurface Iron Removal (SIR) could be used. SIR boils down to the injection of a volume of oxygenated water and subsequent extraction of a larger volume of water with a lower iron concentration than that found in native groundwater. The ambition of this project is to increase understanding of SIR and optimisation of SIR. This includes the use of models that could predict and asses the effects of changing process conditions. A business case should include the beneficial effect of SIR on the subsequent RSF and should answer questions about sustainability and safety.
The activities will mainly take place at the TU Delft and at the Vitens headquarters in Zwolle. At Vitens you will become part of an experienced team of drinking water professionals.
Your responsibilities include:
• Writing a project proposal
• Conducting research into SIR, modelling SIR, developing new SIR concepts and writing a business case
• Following and completing the courses offered by the TU Delft
• Communicating with Vitens and the TU Delft
• Attending and/or organising information sessions and workshops.
We seek applicants with the following qualifications:
• A relevant MSc degree in preferably geochemistry, geohydrology, hydrology or a similar relevant field
• An MSc thesis related to this project is an asset.
• Affinity with IT systems and geochemical and hydrological models
• Affinity with asset management
• Basic understanding of water technology
• A positive attitude and focus on problem solving in complex engineering and research problems
• Ambition, initiative, and good communication skills
• Fluency in English and Dutch
• Driving license
ConditionsThe TU Delft offers an attractive, customisable compensation and benefits package, including a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers day care, before- and after-school care and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Please visit www.ceg.tudelft.nl/pdeng-ce for more information. You are also welcome to contact Amir Haidari, phone: +31 +31 (0)15–2787337, e-mail: email@example.com for any additional information.
To apply, please send the following documents to PDEng-CEG@tudelft.nl. You are requested to submit in English, preferably in one PDF file:
• Letter of application in which you explain your interest in the traineeship for the subsurface iron removal project (not more than 1 A4 page)
• Curriculum Vitae (not more than 2 pages A4)
• Master's and Bachelor's degrees transcripts including grades obtained
• Copies of Master's and Bachelor's diplomas
• A copy of your passport
• Two reference letters from supervisors of recent (research) projects or (scientific) work
When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number CITG17-38.
Please submit your application by 31 December 2017. The programme starts in February 2018.
Additional informationAmir Haidari
Technische Universiteit Delft
Delft University of Technology (the TU Delft) is a multifaceted institution offering education and carrying out research in the technical sciences at an internationally recognised level. Education, research and design are strongly oriented towards applicability. The TU Delft develops technologies for future generations, focusing on sustainability, safety and economic vitality. At the TU Delft you will work in an environment where technical sciences and society converge. The TU Delft comprises eight faculties, unique laboratories, research institutes and schools.
Civil Engineering & Geosciences
Would you like to extend your knowledge and practical work experience and get a professional doctorate degree in the water sector in only two years’ time?
The Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences at Delft University of Technology (the TU Delft) offers a new type of doctoral programme called "PDEng in Civil and Environmental Engineering". During the PDEng programme, you will find a solution for a practical, integrated, and complex problem in cooperation with a company or engineering agency. You study two days per week at the TU Delft and apply your learning three days per week on the project at the company.
Vitens is one of the TU Delft's partners in the PDEng programme. We are the largest drinking water company of the Netherlands and supply drinking water to 5.6 million people and businesses. Vitens employs approximately 1400 people who feel united in their passion for water. Along with high-quality drinking water and sustainability, low costs are essential for us. Vitens wants to keep the costs of drinking water as low as possible. We do so because water is a basic necessity of life. Subsurface Iron Removal is an example of a simple and cost-effective technology.
We are looking for an enthusiastic engineer (MSc degree) with knowledge of both geochemistry and hydrology, and a drive for modelling.