During this project you will develop and exploit an experimental setup able to measure the spatial diffusion of photo-excited electron-hole pairs (excitons) …
PDEng Traineeship in Sanitary Engineering
Real-time water quality data for better management
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 1828 per maand
Would you like to extend your knowledge and practical work experience and get a professional doctorate degree in the water sector in only two years’ time?
The Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences of Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) offers a new type of doctorate programme called PDEng in Civil and Environmental Engineering. During the PDEng programme, you will find a solution for a practical, integrated, and complex problem in cooperation with a water company or engineering agency. You study two days per week at the TU Delft and apply your learning three days per week to the project at the water company.
SLIMM stands for Self Learning Integrated Model-based Monitoring. The SLIMM technology makes real-time water quality data available to control well field management and treatment processes effectively. This includes the use of models (soft sensors) that predict and assess the effects that changing process settings and other variables have on the effluent quality of individual process components. The output of the models, consisting of guidance advice, predictions, and real-time information, is presented as a dashboard to the operator. In addition to information on the quality, the SLIMM system also provides information on the energy and chemical consumption. Collecting all this information enables better balancing between water quality and costs and will ultimately result in a more sustainable, efficient, and effective treatment.
The activities will mainly be established at TU Delft and at the Vitens headquarters in Zwolle. At Vitens, you will become part of the SLIMM team, formed by five experienced drinking water professionals.
We seek applicants with the following qualifications:
• Open, creative mind and a critical attitude
• A master degree, preferably in systems and control or civil, environmental, chemical, or physical engineering or a related field of expertise
• Basic understanding of water technology
• Affinity with IT systems, modelling, sensors, and data processing
• A positive attitude and focus on problem solving for complex engineering problems
• Goal of a career in industry
• Excellent command of English and Dutch
• Driving licence
• Writing a project proposal
• Completing the SLIMM project up to the established level in two years
• Following and completing the courses offered by TU Delft
• Communicating with Vitens and TU Delft Attending and/or organising information sessions and workshops about the SLIMM project
ConditionsThe TU Delft offers an attractive, customisable compensation and benefits package, including a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers day care, before- and after-school care and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Please visit www.ceg.tudelft.nl/pdeng-ce for more information. You are also welcome to contact Amir Haidari, phone: +31 (0)15 – 27 87337, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional information.
To apply, please send the following documents in English by 30 November 2017 to PDEng-CEG@tudelft.nl, preferably in one PDF file:
• Letter of application in which you explain your interest in the traineeship for the SLIMM project (not more than 1 A4 page)
• Curriculum Vitae (not more than two pages A4)
• Copies of Master's and Bachelor's diplomas
• Master's and Bachelor's degrees transcripts including grades obtained
• A copy of your passport
• Two reference letters from supervisors of recent (research) projects or (scientific) work.
The programme will begin in February 2018.
When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number CITG17-29.
Additional informationAmir Haidari
Technische Universiteit Delft
Delft University of Technology (the TU Delft) is a multifaceted institution offering education and carrying out research in the technical sciences at an internationally recognised level. Education, research and design are strongly oriented towards applicability. The TU Delft develops technologies for future generations, focusing on sustainability, safety and economic vitality. At the TU Delft you will work in an environment where technical sciences and society converge. The TU Delft comprises eight faculties, unique laboratories, research institutes and schools.
Civil Engineering & Geosciences
Vitens is one of the partners of the TU Delft in the PDEng programme. Vitens is the largest drinking water company of the Netherlands and supplies drinking water to 5.6 million people and businesses. Vitens employs approximately 1400 people who feel united in their passion for water. SLIMM is one of the projects that is included in the strategic programmes of Vitens: “infrastructure of the future: from craft to data-driven”.