3 dagen geleden - Radboud Universiteit (RU) - Nijmegen
PhD in Optimization methods in extremal geometry
Optimization techniques like linear and semidefinite programming find applications in many practical fields, but more and more also within mathematics, for …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
Optimization techniques like linear and semidefinite programming find applications in many practical fields, but more and more also within mathematics, for instance as a tool in proving theorems in combinatorics, geometry, etc.
In this project, you as a PhD student will explore the use of optimization techniques to tackle problems in extremal geometry such as the sphere-packing problem, the kissing number problem, and other related questions, which are of fundamental interest in mathematics. Applications in combinatorics, like flag algebras, may also be explored.
As the student, you will be supervised by Dr. Fernando M. de Oliveira Filho of the optimization group at TU Delft. You will have the opportunity to learn a great deal about modern optimization methods, like semidefinite programming. You will also be able to learn more about the theory of harmonic analysis and how it can be leveraged in the application of optimization methods to geometrical problems.
There is moreover the opportunity to conduct independent research into topics of your interest. The position also offers generous funds for traveling.
We are looking for excellent candidates with the following qualifications, knowledge, and skills:
- MSc (completed or underway to completion) and BSc degrees in mathematics, computer science, or related fields. The starting date for this position is flexible, so if you have not yet finished your master's degree, you may still apply! Send an inquiry to know whether applying makes sense for you.
- A solid background in mathematics and interest in doing mathematical research. Programming experience is a plus, but you can learn what you need along the way.
- Excellent communication skills, self-motivation, independence, and the ability to work with others.
- Proficiency in English for effective communication, writing, and presentation.
TU Delft offers PhD-candidates a 4-year contract, with an official go/no go progress assessment after one year. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2395 per month in the first year to € 3061 in the fourth year. As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the TU Delft Graduate School. The TU Delft Graduate School provides an inspiring research environment with an excellent team of supervisors, academic staff and a mentor. The Doctoral Education Programme is aimed at developing your transferable, discipline-related and research skills.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, discounts on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice to assist you with your relocation.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr. Fernando de Oliveira Filho by email: F.M.deOliveiraFilho@tudelft.nl.