3 dagen geleden - Radboud Universiteit (RU) - Nijmegen
PhD Position Modeling of Failure in Composites
Thermoplastic composites are the lightweight materials of the future, supporting the automotive and aerospace needs to reduce fuel consumption and extend …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 40 uur
- € 2434 - € 3111 per maand
Thermoplastic composites are the lightweight materials of the future, supporting the automotive and aerospace needs to reduce fuel consumption and extend vehicle range. Optimal usage of these materials requires advanced computational tools that can predict their performance. This project aims to develop a micromechanical model for fiber failure in composites, and use that model to investigate the influence of processing conditions and bonding processes on the material performance subjected to short and long term loading. Several fundamental challenges need to be addressed in setting up an the micromechanical model with appropriate kinematics (for efficiency) and constitutive relations (for accuracy). Validation of the model and interpretation of its results will be performed in collaboration with experimental partners. The PhD project will be supervised by Boyang Chen (Faculty of Aerospace Engineering) and Frans van der Meer (Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences). It is part of a large project funded by the Dutch Research Council NWO on enabling integrated lightweight structures with thermoplastic composites involving several academic and industrial partners.
- An Msc degree in civil, aerospace or mechanical engineering, or other related areas, with computational mechanics oriented specialization
- Good programming skills (C++/python)
- Independent, self-motivated, eager to learn and open to communicate and collaborate with peers
- Experience with composite materials is a plus
- Excellent command of English, both verbally and in writing: if your mother language is not English and you do not hold a degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction, you must submit proof of English proficiency from either TOEFL (minimum total score of 100) or IELTS (minimum total score of 7.0). Proof of English language proficiency certificates older than two years are not accepted.
TU Delft offers PhD-candidates a 4-year contract, with an official go/no go progress assessment after one year. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2.434 per month in the first year to € 3.111 in the fourth year. As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the TU Delft Graduate School. The TU Delft Graduate School provides an inspiring research environment with an excellent team of supervisors, academic staff and a mentor. The Doctoral Education Programme is aimed at developing your transferable, discipline-related and research skills.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, discounts on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice to assist you with your relocation.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Frans van der Meer via email@example.com.