Ongeveer 16 uur geleden - Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) - Amsterdam
Postdoc Advanced MBE of scalable III-V and hybrid metal/semiconductor nanostructures - Research position
Our research is focused on the development of new hybrid semiconductor-superconductor platforms to enable the application of Majorana bound states for …
- Lorentzweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2640 - € 4166 per maand
Our research is focused on the development of new hybrid semiconductor-superconductor platforms to enable the application of Majorana bound states for topological quantum computing.
Material science and fabrication are the foundation and the enablers of qubit devices. We deal with complex stacks of different materials combined at the nanoscale and require state-of-the art metrology and in-depth morphological, structural and compositional analysis. Fabrication of qubit devices is a challenging, multi-step process pushing the boundaries of nanotechnology and nano-patterning techniques. You can play a key role in the development of our ground-breaking approach to quantum computing by helping to realize quantum devices with quality and control well beyond the current state of the art.
The aim is to develop applied research projects, in the context of the TU Delft/Microsoft partnership, to further the state-of-art Molecular Beam epitaxy (MBE) on a cluster tool focused on nanoelectronics devices and quantum transport physics; to publish in high-quality journals, pursue intellectual property, and foster collaborative work while inspiring others to do the same. The post does not incorporate teaching duties.
Your activities will include:
- To conduct research & development in the area of III-V MBE for high mobility and large spin-orbit coupling materials and devices such as III- As, III-Sb;
- To participate in the operation and maintenance of a research-grade MBE cluster facility and in upgrades and modifications to serve your research goals;
- To generate and pursue independent research in the field of compound semiconductors, and support the initiation of new ideas;
- To foster academic and industrial collaborative networks and to supervise and guide (under)-graduate students in MBE and related areas.
Our ideal candidate for this position is an experienced material scientist in the field of compound semiconductors with strong materials characterization skills, has an applied physics & devices interest, and has an affinity for industrial R&D.
- A PhD in Materials Science, Physics or Engineering with at least one year of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience in compound semiconductor MBE – specifically III-Vs.
- Well-established expertise and a significant portfolio of research achievement associated with advanced materials and nanostructure growth of III-As and III-Sb using MBE.
- Proven expertise of MBE operation, maintenance and hardware upgrades.
- Demonstrated expertise in materials characterization using techniques such as atomic force microscopy (AFM), Scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and photoluminescence (PL) microscopy, Cathodoluminescence (CL); optical characterization techniques; electrical characterization (Hall, Van der Pauw, Field-effect mobility).
- An excellent record of high-quality publications in major international journals or relevant patents.
- Proven ability to participate in a research team and to develop networks and interdisciplinary links with researchers at other institutes to enhance the overall strength of research.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in device physics, device fabrication, and electrical characterization expertise.
TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Leo Kouwenhoven, e-mail: L.P.Kouwenhoven@tudelft.nl. To apply, please e-mail your CV, a list of publications, and the names and e-mail addresses of at least three references along with a letter of motivation addressed to Prof. dr. ir. Leo Kouwenhoven. Please e-mail the requested information to email@example.com. Please refer to vacancy number QuT18-056 in your application.
Screening of the applications will begin on July 20, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated starting date is as soon as possible.