Ongeveer 17 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Postdoctoral researcher on mathematical optimization for structural design
As systems become more complex and multidisciplinary, design of these systems also becomes more complicated. To assist design of such systems, physical models …
- Mekelweg, Delft, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3255 - € 4274 per maand
As systems become more complex and multidisciplinary, design of these systems also becomes more complicated. To assist design of such systems, physical models and computational tools are needed for their analysis and optimization. Our research focus is on the development of such advanced (computational) design techniques, combined with the understanding and design of innovative mechanical devices.
Supported by vast experience in structural optimization and modeling available in Precision and Microsystems Engineering (PME) with the mathematical optimization and machine learning expertise in the Delft Center for Systems and Control (DCSC), the candidate will fuse the worlds of artificial intelligence and structural optimization. To that end, the candidate will develop, conduct, and supervise research on AI-based optimization applied to structural systems (machine learning algorithms with novel regularization techniques for scarce training data, applied to problems in structural mechanics).
The tasks to be performed include:
- Learning recent advances in modern convex optimization theory emerging in machine learning applications, in particular kernelized methods and distributionally robust optimization.
- Developing new numerical algorithms by leveraging these modern tools for structural optimization (gradient-based topology optimization).
- Inspiring MSc and PhD students through teaching and supervision.
The applicants must have the following qualifications:
- Background in mathematical programming (at least a first course in convex optimization).
- Background in solid mechanics (at least a first course on linear elasticity).
- PhD in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related area.
In addition to the above qualifications, applicants should possess:
- A solid publication record.
- Sound programming experience. Most of the programming tasks will be executed in Python, but knowledge of C/C++ will be an asset.
- Proactive, team player attitude and good communication skills.
- Expertise with optimization algorithms in machine learning problems and/or knowledge of topology optimization (gradient-based) and finite element methods will be considered an asset.
TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
TU Delft creates equal opportunities and encourages women to apply.
For more information about this position, please contact Alejandro M. Aragón, Assistant Professor, email: email@example.com, tel. +31 (0)15 2782267 or Peyman Mohajerin Esfahani, Assistant Professor, Email: P.MohajerinEsfahani@tudelft.nl, Tel: +31 (0)15 27 87171. For information about the selection procedure, please contact Irina Bruckner, HR advisor, email: application-3mE@tudelft.nl.
Applications should include: a letter of motivation, a detailed CV including publication list, summary of academic record or research experience, abstract of PhD thesis (1 page), preferred starting date, proof of English language skills (if applicable), and names of three references. Please submit all these documents in one single pdf file (max. 6 MB) to Irina Bruckner, application-3mE@tudelft.nl.
When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number 3mE19-72.