A University Level Lecturer Mathematics
Eindhoven University of Technology seeks a University Level Teacher Mathematics (0,8 - 1fte)
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (M&CS) is responsible for three Bachelor Level programs and four Master Level programs and an extensive list of mathematics courses for other programs at Eindhoven University of Technology. Over the last few years, the number of students has increased significantly. Within the unique Bachelor College system of Eindhoven University of Technology, the Department also teaches two successful university-wide courses to 2000+ students. The Department is therefore seeking to expand its teaching capacity and is looking for a highly motivated lecturer in Mathematics.
Lecturers will be involved in the teaching, design and innovation of courses (all taught in English). Various courses are taught by a team of instructors. Among the tasks are lecturing, teaching tutorials, assessing assignments and exams, and supervising students writing their bachelor thesis, but also design of new forms of activating new teaching methods, or online assessment. Successful candidates will spend 80% of their time teaching while 20% is available for research and other tasks. Part of the teaching time can be used for innovation in teaching materials and methods (e.g. blended learning). The position offer a great opportunity for candidates with teaching experience and/or who would like to gain experience in a dynamic, innovative teaching environment. We are looking for candidates who are team players with a passion for teaching and ideas for teaching students (with different backgrounds) in an innovative, interactive way.
Candidates should fulfil the following requirements:
- PhD in mathematics or related fields. Candidates who are close to completing their PhD thesis will also be considered.
- A drive to engage in top-level teaching and relevant teaching experience at the Bachelor and/or Master level. In addition, you have or are willing to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (BKO in Dutch) and you have good teaching skills, as evidenced by teaching experience and good evaluations.
- Excellent command of English (written/verbal) at minimum C1 level. The ability to speak or the willingness to learn Dutch is appreciated.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment and with students who have a natural science background.
- Team player and prepared to play an active citizenship role within the group (s)he is working in.
- The candidate must have a track record in teaching, preferably accompanied with training in teaching, for example in the context of a UTQ trajectory. The candidate must be fluent in spoken and written English.
We expect the candidate to:
- Teach courses and give instructions in the areas of calculus, (numerical) analysis, linear algebra, or statistics and stochastics, mainly on bachelor level and in service education, but depending on the expertise of the candidate possibly also on master level. The candidate may also act as supervisor in bachelor final projects in Mathematics.
- Be involved in the innovation of education. Dependent on the preference of the candidate teaching can be combined with education innovation. The candidate is expected to contribute to innovations in teaching mathematics courses, for instance in online teaching and testing, and challenge-based learning. This will be done within the Educational Innovation (EdIn) group of the department. We expect enthusiasm for working together with fellow lecturers and good communication skills.
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university. The opportunity to develop yourself (e.g. through obtaining UTQ ('BKO')). The possibility to perform research in education innovation (technology-enhanced education, blended learning etc.).
- An appointment for initially 1 year with the possibility to extend to 4 years. The starting date is flexible, but preferably as soon as possible.
- A gross monthly salary of a Lecturer (UFO Lecturer 4 or 3) between € 2.790 and € 5.127 (based on a fulltime appointment), depending on experience and knowledge.
- A yearly holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary. A yearly end of year allowance of 8.3% of the yearly salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes and excellent sports facilities).
Eindhoven University of Technology is an equal-opportunity employer and has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female employees. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Additional informationMore information can be obtained from:
- About the position: prof. dr. F.G.M.T. Cuypers (head EdIn, email: f.g.m.t.cuypers[at]tue.nl) or dr. H.J.M.Sterk (Program director Bachelor Applied Mathematics, email: h.j.m.sterk[at]) or dr, A Di Bucchianico (Program director Master Industrial and Applied Mathematics email: A.d.Bucchianico[at]TUE.nl)
- About the employment conditions: Roel Verhagen (HR Advisor of M&CS, HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl).
If you are interested in this position, and you would like to apply, please send us your application by using the 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. Please do not send us your applications by email.
Please upload the following (all in English):
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position.
- An extensive curriculum vitae including publication list and teaching evaluations (if any).
- A teaching statement