Ongeveer 9 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
A University Level Teacher Computer Science
Eindhoven University of Technology seeks a University Level Teacher Computer Science (0,8-1fte)
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (M&CS) is responsible for three Bachelor Level programs and four Master Level programs. Over the last few years, the number of students has increased significantly. Within the unique Bachelor College system of Eindhoven University of Technology, the Department also teaches two successful university-wide courses to 2000+ students. The Department is therefore seeking to expand its teaching capacity and is looking for highly motivated teachers in areas of computer science and/or data science.
Lecturers will be involved in the teaching, design and innovation of courses (all taught in English). Various courses are taught by a team of instructors. Among the tasks are lecturing, teaching tutorials, assessing assignments and exams, ad supervising students writing their bachelor thesis, but also design of new forms of activating new teaching methods, or online assessment.
Successful candidates will spend 80% of their time teaching, while 20% is available for research and other tasks. Part of the teaching time can be used for innovation in teaching materials and methods (e.g. online and blended learning). The positions offer a great opportunity for candidates with teaching experience and/or who would like to gain experience in a dynamic, innovative teaching environment. We are looking for candidates who are team players with a passion for teaching and ideas for teaching students (with different backgrounds) in an innovative, interactive way.
Candidates should fulfil the following requirements:
- PhD in computer science, data science or related fields. Candidates who are close to completing their PhD thesis will also be considered.
- A drive to engage in top-level teaching and relevant teaching experience at the Bachelor and/or Master level. In addition, you have or are willing to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (BKO in Dutch) and you have good teaching skills, as evidenced by teaching experience and good evaluations.
- Excellent command of English (written/verbal) at minimum C1 level. The ability to speak or the willingness to learn Dutch is appreciated.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment and with students who have a natural science background.
- Team player and prepared to play an active citizenship role within the group (s)he is working in.
- The candidate must have a track record in teaching, preferably accompanied with training in teaching, for example in the context of a UTQ trajectory. The candidate must be fluent in spoken and written English.
We expect the candidate to
- Teach courses and give instructions in the area of theoretical computer science (data structures, algorithms, formal languages, discrete structures, etc.), and software engineering (programming courses on Java, Python, Haskell, courses on UML and SysML, etc.), primarily on bachelor level, but depending on the expertise of the candidate possibly also on master level. The candidate will also act as technical advisor in the software engineering project that serves as the bachelor final project in Computer Science.
- Be involved in the innovation of education. Dependent on the preference of the candidate teaching can be combined with education innovation. If that is preferred, the candidate is expected to contribute to innovations in teaching Computer Science courses, for instance in online teaching and assessment, and challenge-based learning. This will be done within the Educational Innovation (EdIn) group of the department. We expect enthusiasm for working together with fellow lecturers and good communication skills.
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university. The opportunity to develop yourself (e.g. through obtaining UTQ ('BKO')). The possibility to perform research in education innovation (technology-enhanced education, blended learning etc.).
- An appointment for initially 1 year with the possibility to extend to 4 years. The starting date is flexible, but preferably as soon as possible.
- A gross monthly salary of a Lecturer (UFO Lecturer 4 or 3) between € 2.790 and € 5,127 (based on a fulltime appointment), depending on experience and knowledge.
- A yearly holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary. A yearly end of year allowance of 8.3% of the yearly salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes and excellent sports facilities).
Eindhoven University of Technology is an equal-opportunity employer and has adopted an active policy to increase the number of female employees. Therefore, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Additional informationMore information can be obtained from:
- About the position: prof. dr. F.G.M.T. Cuypers (head EdIn, email: f.g.m.t.cuypers[at]tue.nl) or dr. E.P. de Vink (Program director Bachelor Computer Science, email: e.p.d.vink[at]tue.nl) or prof. dr. M.G.J. van den Brand, (Program director Master Computer Science email:m.g.j.v.d.brand[at]tue.nl)
- About the employment conditions: Roel Verhagen (HR Advisor of M&CS, HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl).
If you are interested in this position, and you would like to apply, please send us your application by using the 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. Please do not send us your applications by email.
Please upload the following (all in English):
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position.
- An extensive curriculum vitae including publication list and teaching evaluations (if any).
- A teaching statement
Please send us your application before October 31, 2020.
Screening of applicants will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the positions have been filled. If they fulfil the job requirements, internal candidates will, in the event of equivalent suitability, be given preference over external candidates.