Assistant Professor Acoustics of complex engineering systems
Are you passionate about Acoustics of Complex engineering systems? Is it your aspiration to function in a multi-disciplinary research environment? Do you have …
7 maanden geleden
- de Rondom, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingAre you passionate about Acoustics of Complex engineering systems? Is it your aspiration to function in a multi-disciplinary research environment? Do you have a strong affinity with application domains related to mechanical engineering? We seek an enthusiastic early career researcher who has the ambition to build their own research group, while encouraging a collaborative network with other academics working on the topic within the section, the department, the university and industry.
Excessive noise levels affect the economic and technological development of western countries in many ways. Overexposure to noise can lead to for example hart infarcts, high blood pressure or bad learning performance. As a consequence, noise regulations impose increasingly strict demands on noise emissions of transportation systems, machinery and consumer products (from cars to electric toothbrushes). At the same time, vibrations and acoustics can be a threat to the integrity and accurate operation of many engineered systems causing failure of sophisticated systems like turbines and limiting the performance of high-tech precision machinery. A complicating factor in the process of developing and implementing low-noise solutions is that in most applications the acoustic performance of the system is not the primary performance goal.
This research theme provides ample opportunity for fundamental, interdisciplinary research and valorization in a wide range of applications, many of which are strongly rooted in the Dutch high-tech & manufacturing industry, and the energy and transportation sectors.
You should have a proven background on at least one of the areas mentioned below:
- Fluid-structure interaction and wave propagation in structures: meta-structures, acoustic black-holes, periodic resonator arrays, micro-perforated panels;
- Signal processing in acoustics and vibration: array systems and inverse problems, compressive sensing and sparse signal reconstruction;
- Duct acoustics and thermo-acoustics: modelling, experiments and low noise design;
- Analytical and numerical methods in acoustics: multi-port modelling, transfer matrix method, FEM/BEM, ray tracing.
Knowledge on relevant application domains such as, for example, transport systems, health applications, smart industry and energy, and experience with experimental validation is strongly appreciated.
Dynamics & Control section
We understand acoustics and vibrations as a key aspect of the dynamic behavior of engineering systems. Within the Dynamics and Control section of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, we foster the vision that the fruitful synergy between the fields of dynamical systems and control is highly beneficial in tackling the future societal and industrial challenges in the fields of high-tech systems, mobility, sustainability and health.
The main research areas at the Dynamics & Control section are: non-linear dynamics of mechanical systems, structural acoustics and noise control, non-linear control of mechanical systems, robotics, vehicle and tyre dynamics and control, and mechanical design.
Work with us!
We have several other open positions:
- Assistant Professor Multiphysics Dynamical System Design
- Associate Full professor Systems and Control Technology
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering;
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated for instance by a relevant Academic doctorate and/or publication(s);
- Ability to teach, shown by experience or assistance in teaching and positive evaluations of these teaching efforts. You will contribute to the existing
BSc & MSc programs Mechanical Engineering (ME) and Systems and Control (S&C) within the department;
- Management qualities for the capacity to independently initiate second and third flow of funds and to provide leadership in this;
- Creative and dedicated to (multidisciplinary) collaboration;
- Good communication and didactic skills;
- Excellent proficiency (written and oral) in English.
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department.
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming Associate Professor. After a maximum of four years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, a tailor-made career proposal will be considered.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Additional informationDo you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact Prof.dr.ir. Ines Lopez Arteaga, i.lopez[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact
Elly van den Eertwegh, recruiter, e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected 'best publications'.
- Description of your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Statement of your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages).
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We are looking forward to your application. TU/e aims to increase diversity among its employees and encourages applications from under-represented groups; in particular, females are encouraged to apply.